Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed with selling part of dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice needed with selling part of dedicated server

DrukpaDrukpa Member
edited January 2013 in General

I have a dedicated server (e3 1240 16GB 2x500GB SATA RAID1). Installed hypervm and created an OpenVZ VPS with 4GB RAM to be used for the shared hosting (cPanel) that I provide. Previously, I was using a managed cPanel VPS for the shared hosting, but I got suspended once due to a client's php script that had stuck and was using the CPU too much. So I got this dedicated server. Now, my VPS usage is roughly 1.5GB RAM at any time, and average load is around 0.2.

Since alot of the resources are going unused, I was thinking maybe I could create another 2-3 VPS with upto total of 8GB RAM and sell them for around 20-30$ a month, so it could atleast pay some of the fees for the dedicated server. I want to know if its a good idea to do that?

Comments

• Where's it located at at what speed?

• Split it and sell it.

• @eastonch its located at colo4 DC at Dallas, Texas and its with 100mbps port speed with 5TB monthly with 8 IP addresses.

@tsanten , yeah I was thinking the same but, what I dont know is, am I digging a grave for myself? Is it gonna be a lot of hassle/headache selling like this to unknown people?

• jaakkajaakka Member
    edited January 2013

If you get an upgrade for those drives, then its certainly possible.

4x500 atleast or the i/o turns to shit.

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited January 2013

Take on board people that are known here with technical abilities and all should be ok.
    Ill not sell to strangers first time approaching to vps world.
    It will save you a lot of money and be a good deal for others.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Is be happy to get one depending on how much you plan on charging.