Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you are running HP servers? Any need for HP P420 RAID w/ 2GB Cache+SuperCaps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many of you are running HP servers? Any need for HP P420 RAID w/ 2GB Cache+SuperCaps?

ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
edited February 2016 in General

I've got a few (~10) of these HP Smart Array P420 RAID Controllers each one with 2GB FBWC (Flash Backed Write Cache) in excellent condition, that I'd like to find a use for / sell.

If you're interested, please PM me or email me at [email protected]

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111534.pdf
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-4124ENW.pdf
HP Smart Array P420/2GB FBWC 6Gb Int SAS Controller
Part#: 631671-B21
Comes with: P420, 2GB Cache, AND the SuperCapacitor (New tech. replacing BBU)

Specs:
- PMC RAID-on-Chip Dual Core Processors:
http://investor.pmcs.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74533&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1670364&highlight

• Provides up to 200,000
    4 KiB random input/output operations per second (IOPS), and up to 800K IOPS with solid state disks (SSDs)

• HP Smart Array Advanced Pack 2.0 features are now part of the base features for the HP Smart Array P420 Controller at no additional cost

• Eight (8) SAS physical links distributed across 2 internal x4 wide port connectors (SFF-8087).
  • 6Gb/s SAS
  • 2GB 72-bit wide DDR3-1333MHz Flash Back Write
    Cache provides up to 10.6 GB/s maximum bandwidth (on the DDR3-1333MHz cache)

• x8 PCIe 3.0 host interface provides maximum bandwidth

• Read ahead caching
  • Write-back caching (with FBWC)

Thanks!
Chris

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I would like to buy them. Offer $7.

• 7$

• The bracket looks very generic, will this work in non HP stuff?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What's the price of this? I might order a couple, where are those located? Will you ship to Bulgaria. PM/email me.

• I was using P420 on multiple servers till last year and they are excellent. Everything just worked. These cards would be monitored by iLO and disk failures etc. would automatically generate an email alert. One less thing to worry about / automate. Not sure how well these will work with non-HP servers though.

• @cociu will be intrested in HP stuff

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You could try selling them to leaseweb, they are actually the controllers they need for their backplates, they cheeped out and got 410's and loaded 12 disks on them haha.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

On a related note, I have a bunch of these, even with RAM installed:

http://www.amazon.com/468001-001-NC375i-Adapter-491838-001-516437-B21/dp/B014ROEVYK

Couldn't get them to work in a regular slot (with the weird rightmost part not connected), so it seems they are HP-only. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM with any offers. Or ideas on how to make them work in a non-HP machine.

• 6 of them sold as of now - FYI
    Got approximately 4 remaining

Thanks guys!

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

linuxthefish said: The bracket looks very generic, will this work in non HP stuff?

It'll probably "work" on non HP but may have issues in terms of performance/stability etc. HP for example don't recommend using these on their own older gen (G6) servers.

ItsChrisG said: 6 of them sold as of now - FYI

Thanks! :)

• ItsChrisG said: Got approximately 4 remaining

can you hit me with a price in pm. Thanks

• @cociu said:

Done

• @AlexBarakov said:
    What's the price of this? I might order a couple, where are those located? Will you ship to Bulgaria. PM/email me.

Done

• @AnthonySmith said:
    You could try selling them to leaseweb, they are actually the controllers they need for their backplates, they cheeped out and got 410's and loaded 12 disks on them haha.

This is not true for their DC in US. I had dozens of HP Gen8 servers with them till last year and all of them had P420.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

@nikhil500 said:
    This is not true for their DC in US. I had dozens of HP Gen8 servers with them till last year and all of them had P420.

Most of the g8 builds have p420i (integrated into mobo), I think leaseweb sells dl180/160 g6 on the cheaper range so p410 is to be expected on those.

• @kt said:
    Most of the g8 builds have p420i (integrated into mobo)

The DL380p Gen8 with E5-2620 / E5-2650 has the P420i and the DL380e Gen8 with E5-2420 has the P420.

• I've got quantity 2 of these left guys - perfect upgrades to your HPs with beast RAID controllers