Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large MySQL database on your VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Large MySQL database on your VPS?

2»

Comments

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

@pubcrawler said: Anyone running a large MySQL database on a VPS?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d161w2.jpg

Currently have this table served by MySQL in my VPS (2.2 GB, 27 million rows). I restart the server around 3 weeks ago, but when looking it now:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2up2tcx.jpg

100++ query per second. I'm sorry @Kenshin for abusing your nodes >_<

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2013

@sandro said: Is percona's innodb as fast as regular MyISAM?

depends..

might want to read my benchmarks at http://vbtechsupport.com/606 and notes on page #4 onwards - particularly note #7 with included Oracle provided pdf on when it's best to use InnoBD and when to use MyISAM http://vbtechsupport.com/606/4/

benchmarks part 2 at http://vbtechsupport.com/657/

Mysql 5.5, Percona 5.5 and MariaDB 5.5 InnoDB/XtraDB is 5x times faster than MySQL 5.0/5.1 InnoDB.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Francisco said: It's part of why I want to get the L5520's in there, just so we have more cores

what about Xeon L5645 or Xeon E5-2630L both also like L5520 60W TDP :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@eva2000 said: what about Xeon L5645 or Xeon E5-2630L both also like L5520 60W TDP :)

A 24 core setup would be nice and likely probable :) I got some additional plans for shared SQL that i'll bring up whenever it's ready.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: A 24 core setup would be nice and likely probable :) I got some additional plans for shared SQL that i'll bring up whenever it's ready.

Keeps unused off-loaded SQL plan and waits

• @Francisco said: As much as possible is cached. We have like 4 - 8GB of key buffer. alone. I may be going to Vegas again in the next 6 months to build a few more nodes, if I do that I'll likely replace the box the SQL runs on and put it on an L5520 with 48GB+ RAM, instead of the E3 with 32GB RAM max.

Wow, thats great hardware for offloaded MySQL. But do you also check abuse in your MySQL service? Because even a single user, can mess the whole node if he is so bad at database stuff.

@jcaleb said: Wow, thats great hardware for offloaded MySQL. But do you also check abuse in your MySQL service? Because even a single user, can mess the whole node if he is so bad at database stuff.

We're reactive for now to it (meaning we look when we get a report of an issue). I'm currently working on getting some graphs, alerts, etc, when we see query/sec get way too high.

Francisco

• At least in 1090 @ coresite there is major heat issues. They run the space at 75-85 F the whole time.

What in the world? 75-85 F?!?!?!

That's insanely hot for gear, especially at the top of a rack.

Again, so much for all the big speak about CoreSite being some fancy, pricey, amazing sort of place.

Better pack the bathing suit if you need to service gear at Coresite...

• It only uses fresh air cooling, which means no air conditioning units burning through electricity every day.

Such efficiency comes at a price, though. The servers in the facility run incredibly hot, so hot in fact that humans cannot go near them for extended periods.

The peak operating temperature Google’s Belgium data center reaches is 95 degrees Fahrenheit. It is governed by how hot it is outside, and when it reaches those temperature staff can no longer remain in the same areas as the servers.

While Google is littered with "smart" people, this is one of the dumbest and most wasteful things I've ever read.

They'd accomplish high savings with air-to-water exchanges as well as subterranean placement of servers in extreme northern fringes.

I'd like to know who the stooges are that get to service these 100 degree rack rows. Good frickin luck and health doing that. They must deploy them in a NASA heat control suit or something.

What this indicates is Google doesn't care about burning up CPUs, disks, etc. to them it is non-valuable commodity to be scrapped. So much for their continued greenwashing.

1090 is a small space so there isn't much in the way of air minus the conditioners.

The thing is that unless you want your server starting to throttle itself, you have to put a HUGE cooler on it which just chews more power.

Why should I have to invest in even bigger coolers (read: bigger than the standard works-everywhere-else ones) just because you want to run your DC 5 - 10F hotter?
    We actually had 2 - 3 cases while in coresite where almost all of our nodes started throttling down and causing huge load spikes.

Matt went down and saw them all strobing their heat lamps and we quickly yelled at coresite. Find out one of the AC units died and no one noticed/got alerted??

Fiberhub has us setup nice where we have 4 big cooler pipes above us cooling the whole cage.

• water cooling FTW hehe

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Francisco: coresite sounds like a nightmare. I know somebody who wants to be in them, now I gotta convince him not to.

If I simply use your offloaded MySQL for my website, will that be OK?
    I'm assuming I get phpMyAdmin with that?
    thanks

@shovenose said: If I simply use your offloaded MySQL for my website, will that be OK?

I'm assuming I get phpMyAdmin with that?

That sounds just fine to me...?

@eva2000 - hahahaha. All it needs now is some big ass LED strips and a window.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: @eva2000 - hahahaha. All it needs now is some big ass LED strips and a window.

Don't forget to attach vapo-chambered heatpipes to cpu heatsink and server chassis to further dissipate heat :D