Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newcomer to VPS - Need more information
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Newcomer to VPS - Need more information

So I have about 10 websites, including ecommerce- Magento, Prestashop, business, static and Wordpress.

I came across VPSDime that are offering great plans. I wanted more info on the following:

Will a 6gb ram, 4core processor be sufficient?
(I plan to add more in future)

Do i need to purchase cpanel/whm, or webmin with virtualmin would work as well? (i have good linux knowledge)

Do i need ssl certificates for whm and other websites or can i used http for them?

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• I can't speak about the VPSDime plan since I haven't used anything from that range, but I'm sure that plan will be enough.

You don't need cPanel/WHM either. You don't actually need any control panel. Virtualmin will be fine though.

You don't need SSL either.

Thanked by 1pavs94
  • Are you currently on shared hosting? What is your current resource usage (CPU/RAM)?

Thanked by 1pavs94
  • Thanks hostnoob, yes I'm on godaddy shared hosting 2gig ram, 2core processor. But i want to host an upcoming project that demands better processing the shared hosting cannot provide. Any suggestions?

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2016

prestashop - careful with dependencies~ if you've not run your own server before, it'll be a headache
    ssl - free or paid, let's encrypt, wosign free, cheap *.domain wildcard @traffic
    free or paid control panel depends on your budget
    guess since you're using godaddy, budget isn't much of an issue

• Yes prestashop is a headache but i got a good developer. Budget is not an issue but which would be better - cpanel or webmin @century1stop

Also their servers are in USA and most of my websites are based in South East Asia. They have a 10Gbit, will that affect speed?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

century1stop said: f you've not run your own server before, it'll be a headache

This is true in general.

Running a VPS means you are a sysadmin - security, patching, installing, backups, etc. If you're not up to doing that or don't want to, you should look for a managed VPS offering.

• cpanel, since budget is no issue. You can have servers in EU or north America (US/Canada), 200-300ms latency shouldn't be a problem.
    Don't Magento host for users now?

• @century1stop said:
    Don't Magento host for users now?

Did not understand

• create your store in Magento site?

Thanked by 1pavs94
  • Oh yes. I am surely going to migrate my existing Prestashop stores to Magento too.

• ah, now I get it, community edition :)

• Exactly, that's why I was wondering because I'm an extensive user of community edition and thought you knew that

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2016

never did have a chance to try magento, that's why, haha. anyways, 6gb ram with 4 vcores ought to do the job unless your domain's google :D
    shoot me a pm if you want more firepower or managed stuff :)
    good luck with your stores

• I would get a vpsdime package, put your new project on it. See how stable it runs and if there's no issue, start moving some of your websites to vpsdime. I'm the kind of guy that likes a lot of redundancy, so I'd advise against "putting all your eggs in one basket".

Thanked by 2pavs94 badpatrick
  • VestaCP may be a good control panel for you as well.

Thanked by 2pavs94 badpatrick
  • @black thanks for the advice,
    @Riz will check it out :)

• Welcome to LET @pavs94 ! Great choice going with VPSDime. I agree with @Riz that VestaCP is worth checking out.

Thanked by 1pavs94