Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Views on provider phone calls? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Views on provider phone calls?

2»

Comments

• @Shovenose

How often to you think fraud occurs?

• edited January 2013

@eastonch said: How often to you think fraud occurs?

In this market? Too damn much.

EDIT: But some common sense combined with automatic fraud detection with manual review helps battle that.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yes but what I don't understand is, spending $0.50 is worth making sure the order is legitimate, so what is everybody complaining about?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@MannDude said: But some common sense combined with automatic fraud detection with manual review helps battle that.

Yep. However, it is not only fraud that is a problem. I mean losing money on fraudulent transactions.
    If police calls and you give them customer name such as Incom Plete or Giuseppe Garibaldi things might not be taken lightly, they would like a minimal effort to screen obviously fake identities.
    I have realistic fake identities that the provider cannot be blamed for, they just give police the paypal transaction ID if they can fetch the correct papers for that and also Paypal will trace the money back to me, of course, after making sure the correct papers are produced.
    I am not hiding from police, just dont want the providers to sell me, trace me, steal identity or something.

• @shovenose said: spending $0.50

With the$ 0.50 plans you see on LET, do you think providers are making 50 cents out of it?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

No, but I was discussing MY solution, and even if it costs $1.00, my cheapest VPS at regular prices is $10, so who cares? .com domains are $12, of course I could barely make a profit, but fraud will cost more in the long run... Web hosting accounts for $3? well about a third of my customers come locally so I don't need to verify them as much.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: I got a card and selection box too :P

.. and free colocation for year, free IP space, and some socks? :P

• @GetKVM_Ash Selection box must of been for current customers lmao.

That'd been strange.

• Years ago when I purchased a domain from GoDaddy they called me afterwards with the standard "thank you for doing business with us, let us know if we can do anything etc etc." I thought it was a nice touch.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I have to admit, I do it to some UK clients, and do try to get to know them. It's just nice. :)
    Of course if they don't want it, I won't bother them again.

• Nope, I wasn't a current customer haha

• flyfly Member

6sync sent me a card, i thought it was cool