Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well so long ASO.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Well so long ASO.

Finally moved my last remaining site that was hosted on ASO. Migration was long overdue, but cba until now, partly because of sentimentality. Many years back when i was just starting out, they were the first "good" host I had.

They were good for years, even after the EIG acquisition. While some cautioned that the EIG transformation was inevitable, I felt no need to move since I was still receiving great service. It wasn't until late last year when suddenly the quality of support dropped like a rock, and random stuff on my site started breaking.

I used to think that people speaking in absolutes like "stay away from any EIG brand, period" were fools for being so closed minded and bunching all the different hosts brands together. Hindsight, etc.

Thanked by 1Junkless

Comments

• K?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The brands were able to run their own way, by their own rules. From what I've heard, that may have changed a bit since I left HostGator early last year. I'm not sure where EIG is headed, I highly doubt that they're going "Hey let's destroy all possible income revenues and piss off as many people as we can" but I've definitely heard whispers of not so good times.

Sorry you had a bad experience but I hope things have gotten better for you and that you chose wisely in the replacement! Who did you pick to migrate to?

• What's ASO?

• I > @jarland said:

The brands were able to run their own way, by their own rules. From what I've heard, that may have changed a bit since I left HostGator early last year. I'm not sure where EIG is headed, I highly doubt that they're going "Hey let's destroy all possible income revenues and piss off as many people as we can" but I've definitely heard whispers of not so good times.

Sorry you had a bad experience but I hope things have gotten better for you and that you chose wisely in the replacement! Who did you pick to migrate to?

I used to have several sites with ASO, they all got migrated to different providers. The last site I just migrated I moved to a VPS from HostUS, so far very impressed with their service.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @kaflo said:
    What's ASO?

AweSomeOrganization.org

• My client had me suggest a new VPS host, went with digitalocean. The server was down for almost 3 days and either ASO was clueless to the issue or were twiddling their thumbs. Either way... They were getting too many outages.

Sayonara ASO, don't hit your ketsunoana on the way out :D.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @jarland said:

Did they lay you off?

• @Jarland - can you recommend a good cpanel vps host with good 24 hour support over Hostgator? i have support tickets that take over a week to get resolved or responded to these days...

@MSPNick said:
    Did they lay you off?

Nope, left on good terms. I appreciate everything they did for me and I have nothing bad to say about them at all. But I needed to grow in my career and I applied for my dream job, still can't believe DO accepted me :)

@seaeagle said:
    Jarland - can you recommend a good cpanel vps host with good 24 hour support over Hostgator? i have support tickets that take over a week to get resolved or responded to these days...

Definitely give DreamHost a try, I find them to be really solid and friendly.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited February 2016

One reason that service and support at A Small Orange (ASO) dropped last Fall is because of the complete disaster that befell Arvixe, another EIG-owned hosting service.

Arvixe was acquired by EIG in late 2014. Service quality deteriorated slowly at first, but then Arvixe laid off nearly all of its support staff in September, 2015. It is not obvious why EIG/Arvixe made such drastic move, other than cost savings. Soon after, Arvixe service was a disaster. Systems crashed. Inbound and outbound email was delayed for days and frequently lost without notification because their servers were overrun by spammers. Worse yet, during the crisis, it became impossible to get any kind of support at all. Tickets for critical issues took over a week to get a canned initial response from Arvixe support. Frankly, support is still a serious problem.

In my opinion, the layoffs and resulting service and support fiasco destroyed the Arvixe brand. It is textbook mismanagement.

According to rumors, EIG brought in emergency support from ASO personnel in late Fall 2015, in an attempt to get Arvixe's services up to some sort of operational stability. That move may have had an impact on ASO's own quality of service and support.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: Definitely give DreamHost a try, I find them to be really solid and friendly.

I have as well and will hit 10 years with them this year.

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • @raindog308 said:

i thought dreamhost sold out to EIG a few years back?

• You should try x10premium (part of x10hosting), I was using them for over 5-6 years, never had a problem. Fast support too.

• yeah, i see this :( fooled by an old april foo' joke :P

• @emg said:
    One reason that service and support at A Small Orange (ASO) dropped last Fall is because of the complete disaster that befell Arvixe, another EIG-owned hosting service.

Arvixe was acquired by EIG in late 2014. Service quality deteriorated slowly at first, but then Arvixe laid off nearly all of its support staff in September, 2015. It is not obvious why EIG/Arvixe made such drastic move, other than cost savings. Soon after, Arvixe service was a disaster. Systems crashed. Inbound and outbound email was delayed for days and frequently lost without notification because their servers were overrun by spammers. Worse yet, during the crisis, it became impossible to get any kind of support at all. Tickets for critical issues took over a week to get a canned initial response from Arvixe support. Frankly, support is still a serious problem.

In my opinion, the layoffs and resulting service and support fiasco destroyed the Arvixe brand. It is textbook mismanagement.

According to rumors, EIG brought in emergency support from ASO personnel in late Fall 2015, in an attempt to get Arvixe's services up to some sort of operational stability. That move may have had an impact on ASO's own quality of service and support.

In September 2015 Arvixe was actually merged into ASO.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited February 2016

@zafouhar said:
    In September 2015 Arvixe was actually merged into ASO.

Well, it didn't work. Arvixe descended into utter chaos immediately after that. :-(

Thank you for sharing and clarifying. It explains why ASO's service quality declined as well.

• MSPNick said: i thought dreamhost sold out to EIG a few years back?

Dreamhost is still independent. Actually very nice people to work with!

• jhjh Member

That's around the time they started running aggressive specials.

• jarland said: Definitely give DreamHost a try, I find them to be really solid and friendly.

unfortunately it looks like they dont have a WHM/cpanel option and servers are all Ubuntu. specs etc look good otherwise.

@seaeagle said:
    unfortunately it looks like they dont have a WHM/cpanel option and servers are all Ubuntu. specs etc look good otherwise.

Yeah they have their own panel. It's great :)

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • @emg said:

Definitely, it was a recipe of failure since they terminated the majority of the Arvixe staff and merged Arvixe into ASO without new hires. Site5 and IX webhosting are next to be merged with ASO.