Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation with Server Purchase ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation with Server Purchase ?

Hi, I am planning to try my hands at colocating own hardware. But I find it a hassle to buy a server, get it configured and then get it shipped to a DC. Are there any colocation providers who will purchase the server for me and then help me get it colocated in thier DC ?
Any location would do, UK, USA, Europe anywhere with good amount of bandwidth, around 20-30TB 1Gbps or 100mbps unmetered. 5 ipv4 would do too. There are not much specific requirements as it is just to see how colocation works out for us. The cheaper the better.
Please post you roffers and/or recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• i can do this in Romania , pm if you are ok with the location , i can offer you any hp configuration hardware

• @Jack said:

The fancy E3 servers which are most common today would do with 32Gb RAM and RAID supported HDD. Older dual Xeons are also powerful, they would do too. You can also quote for SSD disks, I am open to almost all options.

• @cociu said:

Romainia is fine too, what kind of hardware can I get and what about colocation charges ?
    Post or pm me you offer.

• gurugrvgurugrv Member
    edited February 2016

Note: I am also open to using cheap used servers, as this is just a trial take at colocation.

• We can do this in London, UK. Our DC location offers dual diverse networks and redundant power. Additional IPv4 and IPv6 are not an issue. 10Gb/1Gb/100mb uplinks available.

If you can send your full specification of the hardware required in a sales ticket we can provide you a full bespoke quote.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2016

Hi,
    I've got the following;

E3-1220 3.1Ghz 4 cores / 8 cores HT , 2 x 500GB SATA, 8GB DDR3 ECC, /29, 10TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps price: £35 / per month.

Provisioned within MediaCity, Manchester.

You can also purchase this machine outright and pay a per month colocation fee but rental will work out more cost effective.

This machine can also be upgraded to 100Mbps unmetered, feel free to drop me a private message if interested.

@gurugrv said:
    Note: I am also open to using cheap used servers, as this is just a trial take at colocation.

• I think you're over thinking this a little bit. I would advise that you pick up a server with any kind of remote management port - this will simulate a monitor/keyboard/mouse for you to install your OS.

There is an easier process to what you're looking to do:
    1. Purchase a used server from a somewhere online, ship it to the DC of your choice.
    2. Ship the additional parts for it.
    3. Pay the remote hands fee for setting it up (sometimes included)
    4. Rack it up with a firewalled management port.
    5. Install OS, enable ssh, voila.

If you're looking for a new system configured to your likings, check out www.gopcn.com. I've always had a great experience ordering through them.

• Thank you for the great suggestion. I had previously planned to get a cheap dedi from ebay or anywhere else and get it shipped to some dc but I am worried about the things that fall in between, namely the additional parts, routing management, ports etc. If these things could be simplified, this would be the best option to get it done.

@Riz said:

• @gurugrv said:
    Thank you for the great suggestion. I had previously planned to get a cheap dedi from ebay or anywhere else and get it shipped to some dc but I am worried about the things that fall in between, namely the additional parts, routing management, ports etc. If these things could be simplified, this would be the best option to get it done.

Just remember though, the cheaper you go. The more power the thing will use = expensive fo you. I'd steer clear of dell power edges 1950s for this reason.

I can work on hardware with you. The flat fee would be £42/mo collocation in the uk + your hardware that you want (eg we will build to spec)

• Make sure there's insurance on it, if it gets there damaged then it's on the seller at that point.

Thanked by 1MSPNick
  • As @MSPNick mentioned -- do watch what you buy as a some of the older boxes are power hogs. A lot of E3s are coming off of lease right now, which is driving the price to be pretty affordable and making owning a more cost efficient process.

Keep in mind, remote hands can get expensive if you don't have a set plan as you'll keep changing things around.

• VyprNetworksVyprNetworks Member
    edited February 2016

So you're looking to outright purchase the server? If so we have some Intel E3-1240v3 (3.4GHz Quad Core) 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. Price would be $1,050 the colocation price can be discussed if that is the path your looking to go down.

If your looking for something a bit cheaper search youtube for Human-IT and purchase some servers from them. They are in California and they usually can install your is and configure the server for you before shipping it out to a DC. They can also ship rails basically the whole nine yards for you if that is what your interested in RTO is also an option.

• @Jacob said:
    Hi,
    I've got the following;

E3-1220 3.1Ghz 4 cores / 8 cores HT , 2 x 500GB SATA, 8GB DDR3 ECC, /29, 10TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps price: £35 / per month.

Provisioned within MediaCity, Manchester.

You can also purchase this machine outright and pay a per month colocation fee but rental will work out more cost effective.

This machine can also be upgraded to 100Mbps unmetered, feel free to drop me a private message if interested.

The E3-1220 doesn't get Hyper Threading, so it only have 4 cores.

• My bad.. that's an oversight, I've got these machines readily available with E3-1220 & E3-1230 procs so it was a c&p error.

@FredQc said:

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@FredQc said:

With Hyper Threading it would also have only 4 cores, just 8 threads.

Thanked by 2GM2015 VyprNetworks
  • ChairHostingChairHosting Member
    edited February 2016

Hello

If you need colocation in Dallas, price is around $40/U with us, this includes 20 Gbps DDoS Protection, 10TB bandwidth on a 100Mbps Port and a /29 IP Range.

• I can give you for free colocation with the purchase server

Intel Xeon E3-1220v3 32GB DDR3. 2 x 500GB SSD SAMSUNG EVO ($1100)

DC: LOS ANGELES

Thanked by 1VyprNetworks
  • GM5GM5 Member, Host Rep

@jason25 said:
    I can give you for free colocation with the purchase server

Intel Xeon E3-1220v3 32GB DDR3. 2 x 500GB SSD SAMSUNG EVO ($1100)

DC: LOS ANGELES

How long is this free colocation?

• Sorry I forgot to mention One year of free colocation 1U and 1A. 100Mbs port unmetered bandwidth.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

We provide hardware purchase assistance for colocation in Los Angeles, which will include:

• Server Config Consultation
    • Assistance finding trustworthy seller
    • Price Advice
    • Bank and Payment Assistance
    • Assistance to install server in datacenter
  • We can do this in Netherlands, the servers will be leased to own with remote power control. We provide various HP and Dell configurations from which you can build your own hardware. You may feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to send you the list in case you're interested.