Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Workaround for university blocking P2P
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Workaround for university blocking P2P

Hey guys,
I had a small 128MB VPS with a SOCKS5 proxy running on it and thought that would be a decent method for getting around my school blocking torrenting, however I couldn't connect to a single peer. I'm not super knowledgeable in the way that I don't know if the way they are blocking it even has a workaround possible.
I was thinking of setting up a VPN.
I'd like to be able to download to my machine rather than risk storing that data on a host's server just for the sake of downloading it.
Is a VPN the best option here?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited February 2016

Install Transmission with the Atomic Toolkit, get a nice web interface for it. Install nginx, setup a host that points to your downloads folder. Password protect with htaccess so people won't leech it (and also, save yourself from DMCA reports).

Oh ya, to save yourself from your VPS host rekting you, downloading with private trackers! And delete from your server when you're done downloading.

Profit!

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • Or, Just install OpenVPN Access Server on your 128MB VPS.

Download the client through the Web Interface, Install it on your PC and Profit!?

• I actually have a tiny box with this setup except I use Aria2 instead of transmission. I'm just trying to download directly to my PC rather than involve storing something on a server for even a small period of time @theroyalstudent - thanks for your reply!!

• I am a veteran in this....My first box was because of my stupid uni firewall
    Their are two methods
    Either Download first on your server and then download from their
    or set up a proxy
    I also had problems with danted socks5 proxy ...TO over come it either use ssh tunneling and port forwarding or better ...You could use an Openvpn server ....DOnt run dns on your vps and use udp port 53 for openvpn server....THis port is usually not blocked...If it still doesnot work use tcp port 443.....And if this all doesn't work...use ShadowSocks...I believe you can still find it....
    Any problem Drop me a PM
    Happy to help

• Thanks all for your help! OpenVPN seems like the ideal scenario at the moment! I've done enough torrenting & downloading - such a pain after a while.

• My dorm also blocks everything, literally. Installed shadowsocks on a few different ports to try, hoping for the best right now. They even blocked ssh, not to mention the p2p services.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Best way to avoid this is to use port 443/tcp for some kind of VPN tunnelling. That's what I did back in my old university days, when the only port allowed was port 80 (though it served http requests only, so it was not possible to make a tunnel on it) and port 443.

Thanked by 1LowEndAddiction
  • 443/tcp for SOCKS/SSH tunnel or VPN is your best bet. Works on hospitals too.

Nurse who was watching my friend enjoying Netflix during her hospital stay had the caveman invented fire look on her face after saying you couldn't stream on the hospital network.

Thanked by 1LowEndAddiction
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The real answer is to get a seedbox or use justseed.it

Then when you download from your seedbox it's coming on port 80/443.

exception0x876 said: Best way to avoid this is to use port 443/tcp for some kind of VPN tunnelling. That's what I did back in my old university days, when the only port allowed was port 80 (though it served http requests only, so it was not possible to make a tunnel on it) and port 443.

I've often done this - have a box out on the net that runs sshd on port 443. Depending on the proxy, corkscrew is a nice on the client side to proxy through but it seems, unfortunately, that every proxy works a little differently. Grrrr.

• ^^ This.

Or do the same on your own vps

• I have a seedbox but i see enough people on LET talk shit about torrenting illegal material on a vps so i thought a VPN or proxy would be best as it wouldnt be stored anywhere but my PC.
    I have OpenVPN set up and could connect to peers but the download took overnight to complete so i didnt see when it picked up speed.
    Is SSH tunneling similar to a VPN? Im not sure how it applies here since whenever i do tunneling, i have to manually specify a single port ect.
    Thanks everyone for your input!!

• berryboyberryboy Member
    edited February 2016

@raindog308 said:

Do you run sshd on 443 since 22 is blocked or something?

Corporate firewalls usually block everything but 80 and 443. Though the trend today seems to be offering a 'guest wireless' so now I can easily switch as needed in all the locations I'm usually in. But for a long time, yeah, if I wanted to get out to one of my vpses, it was through a port 443 tango.

• berryboy said: I have a seedbox but i see enough people on LET talk shit about torrenting illegal material on a vps

You could get a seedbox from a company that sells just seedboxes. They don't care about downloading copyrighted material. If you're downloading from public trackers, justseed.it is the easiest and cheapest solution.

• edited February 2016

@berryboy said:
    I have a seedbox but i see enough people on LET talk shit about torrenting illegal material on a vps so i thought a VPN or proxy would be best as it wouldnt be stored anywhere but my PC.

Erm, private torrents are the best actually, most hosting businesses wouldn't mind unless you're seeding or downloading in heavy volumes (or use a public tracker and seed heavily - DMCA records are what they're scared of)

Do be nice and ask them if they allow private torrents, too, and you should be fine.

the problem with private torrents is they never have what I want to download :-)

• @raindog308 said:
    the problem with private torrents is they never have what I want to download :-)

I'm sure there are plenty of private trackers with massive selection of tentacle hentai.

• @berryboy said:

Surely it's not so much where you store stuff that matters, but the IP address that is used for torrenting as this will generate complaints

• @raindog308 said:

Ah, it always worked out for me here. I get all the Mac apps I want from a Russian tracker, my movies and shows from eztv and more (and legally via Netflix or cable).

I always seed back though, loving the ranking that I have on that Mac tracker - "TOP" :)

• @berryboy Try this one if you want, it's working fine for me and always gets stuff downloaded especially for nearly dead torrents :) it's free too!

http://m.zbigz.com/

• @berryboy So where did they block it at? the router the switch are they using like iboss enterprise or something? because there is always a way around everything you just have to know how it is blocked to be able to unblock it.
    take for instance my uni blocks stuff with iboss enterprise and I just use a ssl vpn encrypted with a ssl cert I use to tunnel back to my home network to do things unblocked.

• jhjh Member

I would use Transmisson instead of a VPN - it's probably more convenient and there's less chance they'll wonder why there's a load of VPN traffic in your dorm

• So you're going to be that guy on the school network eh?

Just use openvpn, there are plenty of guides floating around.

• OP, sorry to hijack, but I'm also in need of some help with this too...

@timnboys

Any idea on bypassing a network with blocks on everything but web, DNS and email? Would like to use SSH but its blocked.

Network is powered by Apple routers (hundreds of them), main router is in an office. Every client is on the 10.10.0.0/16 subnet, login is at 10.10.1.1. There's a SonicWALL at 192.168.1.1.

Recently, new computers with hostname like "****dc3" have appeared anyway, they have a small room that they call the "server room", holds some old-looking racks etc.

edited February 2016

@jh said:
    I would use Transmisson instead of a VPN - it's probably more convenient and there's less chance they'll wonder why there's a load of VPN traffic in your dorm

Isnt Transmission just a torrent client? What makes it capable of bypassing my schools blocking stuff?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2016

@berryboy said:
    Isnt Transmission just a torrent client? What makes it capable of bypassing my schools blocking stuff?

Get over it and just use dial up. I remember the good ol' days... 35 kb/second magic ;)

fyi ssh should run perfectly fine on a dial up connection; why not try?

edited February 2016

I have OpenVPN setup and only getting 0.2kb/s while connected to about 25 seeders :'(

• edited February 2016

ahhh the uni days, i remember the glorious speed with only 80 and 443 open

you can always use free sedbox but the problem with free-tier seedbox like zbigz is
    they are slow

and for zbigz they dont have cache
    which mean you must wait for it finished leeching,and you download again via http

there is two free provider with "cache" feature that i have used:

the first is furk.net with is free tier for 1gb (if i remember correctly)

and the second torrent2ddl.com (no limit?? )