Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for linux dedicated server with 1-2gb RAM billed yearly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for linux dedicated server with 1-2gb RAM billed yearly

Hello everyone, first post here

I'm looking for a yearly billed linux dedicated server with 1-2gb ram. The servers I want to run are not too resource demanding

Preferred price is $20-$50. Either I would buy 1 with a fair amount of resources in terms of RAM and CPU. Or two with 512mb-1gb depending on the specs and price. For one with good specs I'm willing to pay up to $70 for a year

One question I have though, as I am new to the dedicated server hosting stuff. Is what is the difference between Virtual Private Server and a dedicated server? Is one just for webhosting whereas the other runs an actual operating system?

Thanks for any and all help

(if I have not posted in the correct category apologies and maybe a moderator can move it to the correct one)

Comments

• BradBrad Member
    edited February 2016

Welcome to LET!

To answer your question:

With a dedicated server, as the name implies, all resources are dedicated to you and only you. In a typical VPS environment, the provider will not allow you to max your 1Gbps port 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Same can go for CPU usage.

If your app is hungry for resources such as CPU and network, you will be better off with a dedicated server. If it's just a light webserver, you're fine with a solid VPS. Both run an actual operating system and can probably host the same things. The differences are the resources and usually price.

As for your request, do you have a location preference?

• Thank you for your answer

I'd prefer the United States

• Dedicated server means you are getting a dedicated physical server (Cpu, ram, disk, motherboard and all the other components assembled and powered on for you).

VPS is a virtual server as the name suggests. A big Dedicated server is divided into small servers virtually (using virtualization technologies like OVZ, KVM, Xen etc) where each server will get its share of ram, Cpu and disk from the main dedicated server (usually called node). Each vps is independent and can be used(turned off/on, reinstalled etc) independently.

You can install an actual operating system in both cases. Dedicated are obviously expensive (as they have dedicated hardware) than VPS in most cases.

For your usage, a vps from a decent provider should be enough. It's very difficult to find a dedicated with low specs (0.5-1GB RAM).

Which location are you looking for? You can easily get you specs in your budget. Look at

Hostus

Impact vps

Gestion dbi

Dacantec

Time4vps

Virmach etc

• As long as I can use a VPS to run server software within an operating system that I can remotely use, I'll go with that. Anywhere in the United States is fine

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@DreamPipe said:
    As long as I can use a VPS to run server software within an operating system that I can remotely use, I'll go with that. Anywhere in the United States is fine

Most VPS providers have templates you choose from when you order the VPS, and almost all have a web based control panel you can use to reinstall the OS, reboot the server, etc. whenever you like. If you want to run something typical like CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu Server, etc. you can go with pretty much any provider.

• @DreamPipe said:
    As long as I can use a VPS to run server software within an operating system that I can remotely use, I'll go with that. Anywhere in the United States is fine

Which operating system you need? Linux or Windows? For Windows, you have to go for KVM/Xen. For Linux you can get OVZ vps as well.

• @Junkless said:
    Which operating system you need? Linux or Windows? For Windows, you have to go for KVM/Xen. For Linux you can get OVZ vps as well.

Well it says "linux" in the title ;)

• You won't find dedi with KVMoIP/IPMI within your budget. Delimiter have Atom dedi, for example. You can probably find ARM dedi too. Both options come with slow CPU. Moreover ARM has certain limitations compared to x86/x64 systems.

I would opt for a KVM/Xen VPS with dedicated CPU core/thread.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @Brad said:

My bad. Still in bed, half asleep. Where is that damn coffee!!

Thanked by 1Brad
  • Well I'm trying to run 3 Sega Dreamcast game servers and a DNS server. Quake 3 I think is the most resource demanding, but can run on a PC with 64mb of ram. I'd like some resource breathing room to ensure good performance

So I'd need access to a linux operating system to do all of that

What price range am I looking at yearly for this?

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

for a dedicated server you are going to start looking at pricing of 60 bucks a month and up depending on all the options you put in. like hard drive, ram and so on.

So if that is what you are looking for then you are looking about that rang and above

• If you won't be hammering CPU 24x7, impact vps, hostus etc have some excellent offerings within your budget.

• Actually, Delimiter does just this.

For $60/year, you can get a 2GB server with an Atom 230 CPU (not great though).

However, all of the resources are dedicated to you.

A VPS would probably do you better, anyways.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @Junkless said:

Hostus

Impact vps

Gestion dbi

Dacantec

Time4vps

Virmach etc

This +1. Have a ticket with these guys and see how they can help you.

• I'm going to actually purchase one of these, thanks to the information in this post. But I have one more question

Is bandwidth, when paying yearly, a set limit for the year? Meaning if I buy one year of a server with a 2TB bandwidth limit, is that 2TB for the year or 2TB for one month?

2TB is not a lot of bandwidth for a year if said servers are pinging masterlists one every few seconds. Those few bytes add up. I want to clear that up before any purchase is made

Thanks all for your help and advice

• @DreamPipe said:

Is bandwidth, when paying yearly, a set limit for the year?

To the very best of my knowledge it's the monthly cap.

• Bandwidth is always per month, even if paid for yearly

• grillmastergrillmaster Member
    edited March 2016

For your case, I would recommend iwstack (Dallas), vultr (New York), digitalocean (New York), and ramnode (new york/atlanta). If you think you may need help at some point, ramnode will usually go above and beyond to help you. If you are a student and choose digital ocean, you can get somewhere along the lines of $50 free credit by signing up for a github developer pack (I think they still offer this, not sure). I would go with kvm or at least xen if you are planning on running game servers.

EDIT Nevermind I see you need 1GB+, so out of those I think only IWstack would fit your budget.

• @DreamPipe said:
    Hello everyone, first post here

Look at LowEndServ and LowEndCat

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

Pure SSD, Xen, Seattle:

4 Core - 1 GB RAM - 30 GB - 3 TB $42.84 Year
    6 Core - 2 GB RAM - 60 GB - 4 TB $91.80 Year

Use promo code "winter2016" for these prices!

http://virpus.com/linux-vps.php

• I can do it within the suggested budget, let me know if interested, it can be OVZ or KVM

• Great, thanks everybody