Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What (self-hosted platform/app/solution) does LET use to sync (iDevice) notes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What (self-hosted platform/app/solution) does LET use to sync (iDevice) notes?

For convenience sake, I have been having my iDevices backup/sync memos to my GMail account. Given the lack of privacy when it comes to GMail and the fact that notes can only be edited on iDevices and not in a browser or non-Apple computer, I would like to move to a self-hosted option. Ideally, the solution would have the following features: able to manage (edit and sync) multiple notes (I have a couple dozen) easily between multiple devices and the server/platform - it should also be accessible/editable from a variety of platforms (at minimum, Windows, but a browser interface would also be fine). It would be great if it had versioning or some way to automate backup, as well. I would like to run this on my own computer for the sake of privacy (maybe I can finally do something with the rPi I bought years ago :P).

tl;dr what (self-hosted platform/app) does LET use to sync and edit iDevice notes?

Comments

• Google Keep? When I had my iPod touch it worked fine.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @theroyalstudent said:
    Google Keep? When I had my iPod touch it worked fine.

Maybe something like that...except not hosted by someone else. Especially not Google.

• @user123 said:
    Maybe something like that...except not hosted by someone else. Especially not Google

Github Gist? Versioning works well there since it is Git anyway.

• @theroyalstudent said:
    Github Gist? Versioning works well there since it is Git anyway.

Something like that, except I want to be able to easily access/edit/sync notes between multiple devices once I have the solution set up on my server. It would be convenient if it would work with the iOS Notes app since I already have many notes in it.

• @Four20 said:
    Maybe something like this https://github.com/victorstanciu/Wikitten ?

Not a wiki (I want to keep that kind of thing separate), but just some platform I can sync (and edit) my iDevice notes on. For example, you can sync notes with GMail, but you can't edit them and they aren't private (Google "owns" the info).

• OwnCloud? I know you can set it up to sync contacts and stuff, but not sure about notes.

• I use an exchange server which can sync notes to my iOS device. Which works pretty well.

But not every has one of those so like @mikeyur said owncloud could work, Owncloud Notes haven't tried it myself but according to its wiki it has apps for android and iOS

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

iCloud / Notes

• user123user123 Member
    edited March 2016

@mikeyur @CFarence Interesting!

Has anyone tried OX App Suite, or Citadel (http://www.citadel.org/doku.php)? I think they may be able to do this, but I'm not sure what kind of CPU and RAM would be needed. Exchange server can sync notes and contacts, but is proprietary (Microsoft) and I don't think it's free (or close to it).

@jarland I see that Notes is an OwnCloud addon that isn't able to sync with the native iOS Notes. I could work around that by just migrating all my notes to it, but it looks like the Notes app is also no longer available in the Apple App Store (https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31325&sid=36f331347a84c5a434bd30ae20c24345). My phone is jailbroken, but if I upgrade my phone (my phone is about 5 years behind the current line of devices), there likely won't be a jailbreak out that would allow me to install non-App Store apps. How do you sync it? Do you have the old app or does the OwnCloud iOS app have this functionality? Just like my privacy concerns with synching with GMail, I would rather avoid synching with iCloud.

ETA: I signed up for OX App Suite and it seems like it's a hosted solution :/. Would Zoho be a viable option?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@user123 said:
    jarland I see that Notes is an OwnCloud addon that isn't able to sync with the native iOS Notes. I could work around that by just migrating all my notes to it, but it looks like the Notes app is also no longer available in the Apple App Store

It's already installed on the device actually ;)