Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which switch?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which switch?

emilvemilv Member
edited February 2016 in General

Hello, Im looking to buy a switch for a friend at a small workplace and I can get those two at the local computer store. I wanted to get input from someone with networking knowledge on which one would be a better buy. :)

The second one is about $30 more expensive. Im not sure what the difference is between the GS and WG models though.

http://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/product.php?id=48637

http://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/product.php?id=48629

Thanks!

Comments

• Both look mostly the same, get the cheaper one if you don't need the extra SFP options.

Thanked by 1emilv
  • If you don't need a managed switch don't get one, it will just become one more thing to troubleshoot and secure if anyone messes with it.

Thanked by 1emilv
  • WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited February 2016

In regards to your friend's workplace requirements. How many pc's or servers on the network? Do they use Vlans? They may not need something overkill as even that un-managed switch you listed is pricey.

Have you looked into the Cisco small business series of switches? We use and sell some of these models where I work. The SLM2024T-NA or SLM2024PT-NA models are both good for small basic networks. Also the SLM248GT-NA has SFP if that is a requirement.

Thanked by 1emilv
  • emilvemilv Member
    edited February 2016

Those 2 Planets are around $200-$230as well.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2016

@Weblogics said:
    In regards to your friend's workplace requirements. How many pc's or servers on the network? Do they use Vlans? They may not need something overkill as even that un-managed switch you listed is pricey.

Have you looked into the Cisco small business series of switches? We use and sell some of these models where I work. The SLM2024T-NA or SLM2024PT-NA models are both good for small basic networks. Also the SLM248GT-NA has SFP if that is a requirement.

Just want to leave you with this: just because it is a Cisco router/switch doesn't magically mean that it's better than others. My stupid Catalyst 4948 suicided yesterday with my colo... ironic, isn't it?

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

Main difference I notice on the WGSW is it has 28 ports + 4 SFP where as the other one is 24 + 2 SFP.

The Mikrotik mentioned above is a nice little box as well. Very easy to use and get used to.

Thanked by 2MrObvious doghouch
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@doghouch said:
    Just want to leave you with this: just because it is a Cisco router/switch doesn't magically mean that it's better than others. My stupid Catalyst 4948 suicided yesterday with my colo... ironic, isn't it?

Also, there's a difference between Catalyst's and the small business series. With the small business series, you may as well purchase a Netgear, there's not much difference. The Cisco label on those doesn't mean much, it's still consumerish gear as far as I'm aware.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @doghouch said:
    just because it is a Cisco router/switch doesn't magically mean that it's better than others.

I simply gave the OP some other alternatives based on my experience. If you re-read my post, it says nothing about Cisco switches being magically better so don't twist words to suggest otherwise.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2016

@Weblogics said:
    I simply gave the OP some other alternatives based on my experience. If you re-read my post, it says nothing about Cisco switches being magically better so don't twist words to suggest otherwise.

Oh, it was too hard to quote the OP so I just quoted the first one I saw :)

iPhone 6 is lagging like hell, should switch back to android afaik

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

http://amzn.to/1L1quvw

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 24 Lite. Their Lite model means it doesn't have PoE. Better quality than MicroTik and barely more expensive.