Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain appraisal needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain appraisal needed

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi folks,

Any idea how much the domain "initrc" dot com is worth?

I've bought it, thinking it was a pretty good domain name, but am thinking in selling it. The idea was to build a blog or news website, related purely with linux.

Also have another domain that might sell, rackadn dot com, it's for server management companies. Rack + ADN is a nice touch! :-)

Cheers!

Comments

• $7

• Maybe $30

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@EkaatyLinux said:
    Maybe $30

For which one?

• maybe if you give us some examples about the use

"hey did you see that init rc from yesterday??"

@dedicados said:
    maybe if you give us some examples about the use

"hey did you see that init rc from yesterday??"

Hehehe, yes! initrc is linux-based, to start services, hence why I was thinking it would be ideal to use for a linux blog / news website, something like that :-)

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @MrGeneral said:
    For which one?

The first one.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@EkaatyLinux said:

Yup. It's indeed interesting. Am looking to get about $50 for it.

• @MrGeneral said:
    Yup. It's indeed interesting. Am looking to get about $50 for it.

I thought you were asking for an appraisal?

@Riz said:
    I thought you were asking for an appraisal?

Sure do, but I had an idea for the price, hence why I decided to ask for appraisal.

• @MrGeneral said:
    Sure do, but I had an idea for the price, hence why I decided to ask for appraisal.

Looks more like a way to try selling your domains without being subject to auction rules...

@Jonchun said:
    Looks more like a way to try selling your domains without being subject to auction rules...

Not at all. Just trying to get an idea how much I'd sell it for. Doesn't mean I'll sell those here.

• You don't need an appraisal if you know what you're wanting to ask for it. Sneaky, but just admit you got caught in the act.

Thanked by 2Brad inthecloudblog
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

.net is available for both domains. I would say it's value is cost of registration.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2016

A domain's value is the amount of money that is acceptable to the current registrant and which another interested party is willing to pay under given circumstances!

Put another way: how much is the domain shenzhenoffice.com worth? And shanghaioffice.com? Spoiler: turns out, one is worth 4x more than the other! ;)

Thanked by 1MikePT

@dailymc said:
    You don't need an appraisal if you know what you're wanting to ask for it. Sneaky, but just admit you got caught in the act.

I love LET conclusions!

Actually, haven't you looked for second opinions? I guess not.

@aglodek said:
    A domain's value is the amount of money that is acceptable to the current registrant and which another interested party is willing to pay under given circumstances! Put another way: how much is the domain shenzhenoffice.com worth? And shanghaioffice.com? Spoiler: turns out, one is worth 4x more than the other! ;)

Sure thing, and agreed!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I offer $7.

• Could be a decent domain for a content site

Thanked by 1MikePT

@doughmanes said:
    Could be a decent domain for a content site

I think so! :-)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

$5

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • A domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, asking for an appraisal is pointless. Accept the highest offer and be happy that you even sold it in the first place.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@ATHK said:
    A domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, asking for an appraisal is pointless. Accept the highest offer and be happy that you even sold it in the first place.

Got it, thank you for your input! :)

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2016

@ATHK said: A domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, asking for an appraisal is pointless. Accept the highest offer and be happy that you even sold it in the first place.

Gross oversimplification, and as such, not entirely accurate… a top offer to buy google.com for, say, $10,000, does not determine its value. There has to be a meeting of the minds. I gather that's what you implied by your statement ;)

There is more, however. Aftermarket domain values, like with any "second hand" goods, are dynamic in the extreme, meaning they fluctuate wildy depending on circumstances. This is why domain appraisals are pointless. It is commonplace for a domain to be sold for a substantially lower price than one offered, and refused, in the past. Lacking any response from the seller, I have also seen lowball offers skyrocket in a matter of hours, well beyond any reasonable negotiation strategy (as if the buyer completely re-appraised their perception of the domain's value to them). Lacking sufficient cashflow, taking my sweet time, I have acquired domains for a fraction of their offered price, which I would have been happy to pay, were I flush with cash (read: under other circumstances, the domains' value would have been radically higher).

Having said all that, there are a few rules of thumb, that are indicative of a domain's value. Marketing 101 and common sense stuff for the most part. Interestingly enough, judging by most domains registered for resale, common sense is a commodity that seems to be lacking among domainers at large ;)

Thanked by 2ricardo MikePT
  • @dailymc said:
    You don't need an appraisal if you know what you're wanting to ask for it. Sneaky, but just admit you got caught in the act.

But he said that he wasn't selling it here you dunderhead ._.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited February 2016

@doghouch said:
    But he said that he wasn't selling it here you dunderhead ._.

I already got used to these dramaqueens...:p

• What's the average of none and a lot? This is basically another divide by zero question.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ole_Juul said: What's the average of none and a lot?

Some.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

$8

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • $wat?