Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Floating an idea - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Floating an idea

Comments

• NickONickO Member
    edited January 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Nice one can I combine them in to 600 GB plans? saves on IP's

Wouldn't it be 300 * 6? 1800GB.
    EDIT: Ninja edit.

• @AnthonySmith stop feeding the trolls. We obviously know he is trolling :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@NickO

That would be impossible on those nodes and he did say 2 plans per node so it would be 3 x 600GB

• I do not care much for where this thread is going. :)

• @AnthonySmith said: That would be impossible on those nodes and he did say 2 plans per node so it would be 3 x 600GB

He says he can do it. Must have those magical drives.

• @NickO said: Why thank you.

Doesn't mean anything when you quote part of a post.

You said you would only sell 2 and they're not in stock at the moment. I'm so confused right now.

Yes, if you didn't read, I said there will only be 2 up, so if hes first to grab two that is fine. I thought that was clear, guess you didn't understand.

• @curtisg said: Yes, if you didn't read, I said there will only be 2 up, so if hes first to grab two that is fine. I thought that was clear, guess you didn't understand.

@curtisg said: I will take 6 please :)

you're more then welcome to.

Anything I'm missing?

• flyfly Member

0.05 euros per is pretty good. plus it's anthony

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Not sure if I missed it, but what is the connection provided on the plan?

I know personally on my plans I do unmetered and limit just on bandwidth speed.

• flyfly Member

if its 50mbit or more that's perfect

• If you won't restrict the usage for this plans to just "software for backups", and I can use it normally, maybe I am sold :P

This was just an idea I cannot offer it right now but initial feedback is good, I will continue to gather thoughts.

@yomero no specific restrictions however it is meant for storage so I would not entertain support tickets for slow dd tests etc or performance issues due to having 1 core if someone wanted to use it for a game server. etc.

• @AnthonySmith said: a game server

:3

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

If it's €1.30/mo monthly, then yes, I'd take one.

@AnthonySmith said: €1.30 p/month

yes.

• You've definitely got a customer here if you roll out storage in NL.

@Nekki said: You've definitely got a customer here if you roll out storage in NL.

Running the numbers for NL it is possible but the base price would be €1.60 instead of €1.30 aside from that the storage would cost the same.

• @AnthonySmith said: Running the numbers for NL it is possible but the base price would be €1.60 instead of €1.30 aside from that the storage would cost the same.

I think I can cope with an extra €0.30; I take it there would be no issue with running something like ownCloud?

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2013

@curtisg I'm still interested in what you're paying per month for that dedi.

If I'm not mistaken, you would be the first one to offer storage VPS in The Netherlands. It's always a plus to have your own niche.
    Slightly offtopic, but since you are looking to expand your services, might it be an idea to see if it's profitable to run SSD based servers in NL? The only other LEB company you would have to compete with in NL would be DO.

@Nekki no problem at all.

@Freek interesting I had not considered that, I will also look into SSD but sadly iirc last time I looked it was going to be near impossible to also do LEB rates with SSD's no hard in looking again though.

@Freek ok SSD is also possible now it seems but it would work out at around 4 GB disk space per 256MB Ram which I am not sure would be very appealing.

That is based on SSD Raid 5 with 4 x SSD drives.

• @AnthonySmith said: @Freek interesting I had not considered that, I will also look into SSD but sadly iirc last time I looked it was going to be near impossible to also do LEB rates with SSD's no hard in looking again though.

AFAIK all storage plans are either US based or in Italy with Uncle Sal.
    If it's not profitable enough in NL, it might be worth considering adding a new location . I know bandwidth is dirt cheap in Germany. Maybe take a look at Hetzner? They offer large HDDs with their dedis. Just throwing it out here, sorry if it doesn't make any sense.

Might explain why there aren't that much SSD LEBs out there.

• @AnthonySmith said: around 4 GB disk space per 256MB Ram which I am not sure would be very appealing.

That is based on SSD Raid 5 with 4 x SSD drives.

That's indeed a bit on the low side. 5GB would personally be my minimum, but I think it would be really interesting for everyone at 10GB. However, that would be pushing it. Is RAID 5 really necessary or would RAID 1 suffice as well? (Per comparison RAMNode does 5GB at 7 dollars, Prometeus does 15GB at 7,5 euros)

Well you get more storage from 4 x drives in raid 5 than 2 x 2 drives in raid 1

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

RAID 5 is also like a disaster waiting to happen in HW RAID. If I was to do storage I'd do a 8, 12 drive minimum setup.

edited January 2013

@Jacob care to expand on that a little as frankly that makes no sense.

edit: not the part about the number of drives the "RAID 5 is also like a disaster waiting to happen"

@Jacob Interesting read thanks, your not wrong.

Raid 6 or 10 it is.

• @AnthonySmith the same theory of URE applies on raid6. They are trying to say anything big fails. Most articles also hover at 2009. It might have been fixed already.

URE if handled properly by a proper raid controller shouldn't blow the whole drive... maybe a file.

• Suggest something to grow dynamically later. E.g. maybe at start I only need 50gb. Then maybe after a couple of months I outgrow it and add 50gb more seamlessly