Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block cPanel linux user from sending email
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block cPanel linux user from sending email

Alright, I know how to block a [email protected] and adjust max hourly email, but the linux user that php scripts use? Google ninja skills are failing me and https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+to+Prevent+Email+Abuse doesn't seem to provide what I am looking for. So maybe someone has dealt with this before?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2016

I think this syntax is still good: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/block-outgoing-network-access-for-a-single-user-from-my-server-using-iptables.html

Idea is to block the port by UID in the firewall. We did it at HG a lot when someone would get their web app compromised.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2016

you can tweak exim to prevent "nobody" from delivery to external mail exchange (if that's what you are looking for).

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • century1stop said: you can tweak exim to prevent "nobody" from delivery to external mail exchange (if that's what you are looking for).

Already have done this, but suPHP sends as the linux user, so I am looking at what @jarland provided.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

This is what I do, to disable email for one account you can change the permission of /etc directory for that particular user, under the root account;

chmod 0 /home/**username**/etc 
    chattr +ia /home/**username**/etc

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AlexanderM said:
    This is what I do, to disable email for one account you can change the permission of /etc directory for that particular user, under the root account;

chmod 0 /home/**username**/etc 
    chattr +ia /home/**username**/etc

That's interesting. What's the theory behind that? I could see that locking the passwd file for actual email users, not sure of the impact on PHP Mail function.

• @jarland said:
    That's interesting. What's the theory behind that? I could see that locking the passwd file for actual email users, not sure of the impact on PHP Mail function.

My exact thoughts. Shouldn't there be something else in addition to this?

• We used to do it by blocking something like "mail" (can't recall which exactly function it was) using disabled_functions in that affected username's php.ini & then chattring it.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jarland said:

Try it and it will work :-)

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited February 2016

It can get pretty tricky when exim config file could not be fully (or say, properly) customized in cPanel.

Usually I create a junkaddresses file somewhere, which contains something like:

[email protected]

Follow by defining a junk_addresses list in Exim Configuration Manager (within WHM):

addresslist junk_addresses = lsearch;/somewhere/junkaddresses

And then add these into the "custom_begin_outgoing_notsmtp_checkall" box under "acl_not_smtp" section:

deny
    condition = ${if or { \
     { match_address{${address:$h_from:}}{+junk_addresses} } \
     { match_address{${sender_address}}{+junk_addresses} } \
    } {yes}{no}}
    message = Junk.
    accept

Not sure if this works for you though.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you're running cloudlinux and you're having issues with sendmail/phpmail, just hit me up on Skype and I can give you a copy of my sendmail condom.

Francisco

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • Francisco said: I can give you a copy of my sendmail condom.

Without holes, don't need the server to be Frantiplying

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said:
    Without holes, don't need the server to be Frantiplying

Deal with spamhaus or deal with Fransupport, your choice :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • I'd rather be waterboarded and forced to listen to Nickleback than deal with the bipolar girlfriend better known as Spamhaus

• doughmanes said: waterboarded and forced to listen to Nickleback

Didn't they force Megadeath? Or was there actual variety?

• There was some variety but their heavy gun was Deicide.