Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN Speed Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN Speed Issue

I have a subscription with many VPN services and host a few VPN's off my VPS as well... On all services, I have a speed issue, no matter what location. I seem to only get 10-13Mbit/s and I tried disabling the driver and re-enabling it, uninstalling and reinstalling the OpenVPN GUI as well as the TAP adapter with no luck. This has happened before and I remember having to reinstall, is there any way around this? I get full 155Mbit/s speed without my VPN on.

Comments

• Where are you located?

• Full speed to where? From where?

I've so many VPN and able to max out my download/upload. Are you sure your Internet able to download 155 from outside country/network?

• I'm in the US and attempting to connect to NL. My VPS host has good peering and usually I am able to get a decent speed 70-80Mbit/s to NL at any given time.

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited February 2016

If you have your server what you can try is next:

On server side:

sndbuf 393216

rcvbuf 393216

push "sndbuf 393216"

push "rcvbuf 393216"

On your side (.ovpn) add

tun-mtu 1500

mssfix 1450

This setting are good for me i get 60mbps even with radio and 30 browser tabs open.

I know somebody will say, but this looks like default settings for openvpn from version 2.3.x, yea i know, but i don't get 60-70mbps without small push by me. This settings are only if you are using UDP and not TCP.

• edited February 2016

@ZEROF said:
    If you have your server what you can try is next:

On server side:

sndbuf 393216

rcvbuf 393216

push "sndbuf 393216"

push "rcvbuf 393216"

On your side (.ovpn) add

tun-mtu 1500

mssfix 1450

This setting are good for me i get 60mbps even with radio and 30 browser tabs open.

I know somebody will say, but this looks like default settings for openvpn from version 2.3.x, yea i know, but i don't get 60-70mbps without small push by me. This settings are only if you are using UDP and not TCP.

>

It didn't really improve speed. I have tried connecting to Mullvad on different servers and I am now sure that is is most likely server side as I gotten more than 10-20Mbps... Did a speedtest on the server and that doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Also ran a tracert and it seems to consist of good routing/peering as most of it is Level3.

• edited February 2016

A simple ping to the servers IP showed the following:

1. 114ms
    2. 96ms
    3. 98ms
    4. 109ms

No packet loss showing on the tracert.