Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Burning Board" by Woltlab - Any experiences? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Burning Board" by Woltlab - Any experiences?

2»

Comments

• @Amitz said:
    Thanks, guys! As said - Vanilla is out of question!
    Someone on IRC brought discourse http://www.discourse.org/ into the game. Different approach, quite "2.0"... Experiences?

I've used it, as a user, on the Ubuntu Mate forum and I didn't like it mostly because of the "infinity load" thing on threads.

I'm not sure how it works for admins/mods but I'm fairly sure it's a bit like Vanilla on that end.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited February 2016

@Amitz said:
    Thanks, guys! As said - Vanilla is out of question!
    Someone on IRC brought discourse http://www.discourse.org/ into the game. Different approach, quite "2.0"... Experiences?

I have only read and heard that Discourse is pretty stable ones setup and Ruby based. Its developed by one of the lead developers/co-owners of Stackoverflow (Jeff Atwood) , so their is that as well .

He has a blog at - http://blog.codinghorror.com/

Personally i would go with flarum , as it is written in PHP .

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I have never been an active member of a forum that uses Burning Board. Looks like it is made in Germany. I know it for years but never used one. Weird.

Thanked by 2Amitz webcraft
  • Sony Music uses them, that means it is probably the most insecure software in existence.....

• @Mun said:

Sony Music uses them, that means it is probably the most insecure software in existence.....

But BMW also uses it, so it can't be that bad.

• Thanked by 1boernd
  • webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited February 2016

I'm using WBB for many years and it's really easy for administration/moderation also nice mobile design and many plugins. I was actually using them because of their incredible support for German language but since Version 4 also for multi language forums. It's very stable so far and their support is great (very ambitious).
    For a year or so they've a lots more strict policies but still not as strict as Xenforo or even IPB (they're the worst in my opinion).

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Could you elaborate the "policies" part?

• @Amitz said:
    Could you elaborate the "policies" part?

Well, moving a license used to be for free until then e.g. Also certain other "premium" styles were offered in a bundle directly with the license now they need to be bought separately.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd definitely purchase XenForo if it's worth for you. Burning Board is used by the online game ogame.org and I can vouch for it, working pretty good, it's stable and fast.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Xenforo seems to be more widely used and has more developers supporting it (plugins, themes, etc), but WBB definitely seems like a decent option.