Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

moving vps to another one
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

moving vps to another one

Hey guys,

I have to move my vps next month to an ovh vps.

I am running 3 sitss with kloxo. I never did this before, how should I do it?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't really believe someone is still using Kloxo. Anyway, first - switch away from kloxo. Configure your new VPS, dump all your files, get your databases, restore them on the new VPS and change DNS records.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • heard of kloxo-mr ?

Thanked by 1emre22
  • @AlexBarakov said:
    I can't really believe someone is still using Kloxo. Anyway, first - switch away from kloxo. Configure your new VPS, dump all your files, get your databases, restore them on the new VPS and change DNS records.

well it is the mr version, read only good stuff about it and cpanel is not in my budget.

what else can u recommend me?

I tried virtualmin and his other brother but they are too complicated for me though.

• @emre22 said:
    I tried virtualmin and his other brother but they are too complicated for me though.

Try Ajenti-V.

Guide:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-the-ajenti-control-panel-and-ajenti-v-on-ubuntu-14-04

• I guess you'll just install kloxo in your new vps and migrate live over?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Ajenti and ISPConfig are both better options than Kloxo.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

depending on what host you move to they may offer free migration. So they will move the files and set them up for you.

• most providers do the free migration for you, but not sure about OVH, since they don't really focus on support for the servers (unmanaged mostly) but you can easily just install kloxo on the new server, then ftp all the files up again. Backup everything on the older one and reupload it

• @emre22 said:

Try vestacp.

• emre22 said: is not in my budget.

Saw money involved on this, but you choosing free panel. Manage only 3 tits, get you hands dirty and learn some command line - don't use panel ;p

• I have no choice.

• @FlossieFN said:
    I have no choice.

Please stop spamming lolwat

• Kloxo-MR is stable enough, although for me it is not my favorite panel. You can move account by the backup option. Visit Mustafa's forum (the creator of the kloxo's fork, he is really helpful)/

Now, if you chose to move from Kloxo
    For simplicity try vestacp.
    Better and more mature panel with all professional options - try ispconfig. This is an auto installer for debian https://github.com/dclardy64/ISPConfig-3-Debian-Installer
    If you love centos, try centoswebpanel.

If I were you, I would move my sites manually (dump files and databases) to a newer panel. It is really easy (depending on what platform are the sites built). Move the files, dump and move the databases and change their config files accordingly to the new server. And make sure the owner of the files is setup accordingly to the new server, if not.

• ceibaNet said: most providers do the free migration for you

Almost all providers on an unmanaged server will not do any move. This is common only for shared environments with cpanel and for managed servers, if the client chose to buy also cpanel.

rokok said: Saw money involved on this, but you choosing free panel.

I cannot understand why some people suggest not using a panel. OK, for a tech guy console is the best tool. But for an average user of for simplicity, panel is a good solution, if the chosen panel is stable enough. E.g., ISPconfig is a panel that is built by hand and, actually, it is just a gui for all the elements the user installs to his servers. This is not the mid '00 when servers and/or vps were expensive and weak. Today, a panel will not consume resources more than 1-2% of an average server.

• @emre22 said: (…) I tried virtualmin and his other brother but they are too complicated for me though.

Too bad you feel this way. Virtualmin is the only non-invasive CP that I know of. Means you can run your server using Virtualmin and do command line stuff as needed. Great way to learn sysadmin skills and to make use of command line and bash scripting gradually. Then the real fun begins ;)

• @jvnadr said:

I'm using Kloxo-MR v7.0 right now and very pleased.

I've tried vestacp, ispconfig, etc. IMHO, Kloxo-MR v7.0 is a quite good and mature free panel too, beside ispconfig.