Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to return DNS records according to the health of the server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to return DNS records according to the health of the server?

Hai,

So, I have half a dozen of NAT VPSes right now, and I would like to put them to some use other than running Tinc.

Currently, I run my Git server on a LHC SG machine, and since it has no dedicated IP, I am unable to have SSL, since port 443 isn't forwarded (very important especially when pushing from school).

Therefore, I have decided to use another server with a dedicated IP and a lot more bandwidth than it to run a nginx reverse proxy (with SSL) to the actual server, and for SSH access to the Git server, I used iptables to forward traffic.

However, if the server running the reverse proxy goes down, all the services that it reverse proxies would be unavailable for all the end-users.

Therefore, my question is, is there a way to do health checks of the servers (ping, http request) and serve the IP of the server that is up, to the end user, via DNS?

I'm thinking of using two servers with dedicated IP to do reverse proxy, and with this, I would be able to switch over to the other node when one of them goes down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if I shouldn't be doing this via DNS, do recommend me some alternatives!

(both open source and commercial products are welcome, if commercial hopefully it costs like < $2 month lol)

Thanks!

//ed

Comments