Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namecheap VPS: $1 for first month on all plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namecheap VPS: $1 for first month on all plans

gubbytegubbyte Member
edited January 2013 in General

Namecheap have a winter sale going on (promo: WINTERSALE). Part of the promo is that all their Xen or OpenVZ VPS plans are only $1 for the first month, so you could save up to $62.95. Not bad :)

Offer ends Feb. 28th.

Comments

• Anybody use them before? Who's Bandwidth provider?
    I don't see them have Ubuntu listed as an OS option.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@dnwk said: I don't see them have Ubuntu listed as an OS option.

Me neither; I just chose Debian. Paid for it, still waiting for information, I presume it's not provisioned yet.

Edit: 6-12 hours it can take, it seems. https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/148/22/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-my-hosting-account-activated

• Hmm.. $1 for first month, but then the cheapest plan they have is like $19.95/month for 256mb VPS with 15GB HD and only 100 GB of Bandwidth!!

• @earl said: Hmm.. $1 for first month, but then the cheapest plan they have is like $19.95/month for 256mb VPS with 15GB HD and only 100 GB of Bandwidth!!

Yeah, but I guess it's worth it just for the month. Maybe they will let you use the code again just before the promo ends so you get a second month for $1 :)

• I havejust tried the promo code and it work !(http://www.diigo.com/item/image/3lc0g/4td6).
    it would be better if you post in offer.

• @gubbyte said: Yeah, but I guess it's worth it just for the month. Maybe they will let you use the code again just before the promo ends so you get a second month for $1 :)

Sorry the cheapest was $14.95/month for the OVZ the $19.95 was for Xen.. I think I would still rather buy the frontrangehosting 40% off deal you get KVM and it's recurring, the lowest plan was like $1.60/month..

• @sprabowo said: I havejust tried the promo code and it work !(http://www.diigo.com/item/image/3lc0g/4td6).

it would be better if you post in offer.

• And I'm not too sure if this intentional, but it seems to be okay with you ordering more than one:

Not gonna be too greedy though; Namecheap might run out of IPs :(

• @gubbyte

Curious How is the VPS? have you done any testing on it?

• @earl said: Curious How is the VPS? have you done any testing on it?

It still hasn't arrived yet, I think they activate them manually. I'll post stuff once I get it.

• Yeah you did mention that..sorry i missed it.

• And also, I took a look at their reseller hosting plans, which are also $1 for the first month. The most expensive seems to include a free SSL certificate, 2co account, private DNS, as well as WHMCS, so I got one of those to see what happens :)

• Might as well try the $1 promo. Just placed an order.

• t0p3at0p3a Member
    edited January 2013

Some one should do some tests on them to see if its worth the price they are asking for 15$/m

Just saying the resources they giving for that price are low

• Last time when I'm still new with NameCheap vps at 2009, it's nice but with an expensive price, about $24/month.
    What I love about NameCheap is their support. They usually answer my ticket less than 5 minutes 24x7

• Unfortunately, once the account is flagged by our fraud screening system we cannot unlock it without the verification, moreover we regret to inform you that if you do not provide us with the requested document, your current services will be cancelled with us as well.

Time to move to GoDaddy!

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte

Easy way for Namecheap to make a dollar, or in your case it seems $3 unless they refunded your money?

• @earl said: Easy way for Namecheap to make a dollar, or in your case it seems $3

I have domains with them, but the "give us verification or we'll cancel your stuff without letting you transfer out" from them makes me want to tell them to get lost.

• @gubbyte said: "give us verification or we'll cancel your stuff without letting you transfer out"

Same thing will happen with Goddady too. It happen to me some time ago.

• @5n1p said: Same thing will happen with Goddady too. It happen to me some time ago.

I've emailed InterNIC to see what can be done about this. :)

• I guess they realize you will never keep all three plans so they just flagged you as fraud..pretty cheap of namecheap really!!

• @gubbyte said: Time to move to GoDaddy!

Why can't you verify who you are? Is it really that hard?

• @NickO said: Why can't you verify who you are? Is it really that hard?

Why should he?

• @earl Yeah but... technically, it is fraud, isn't it?

• @William said: Why should he?

They would only ask for verification if there was something fishy. If you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem?

There's a large percentage of people here who abuse offers like this by creating multiple accounts under different emails/aliases and well, that's called fraud.

• @MrDOS said: @earl Yeah but... technically, it is fraud, isn't it?

I don't think it's fraud, Namecheap says $1 first month nothing else.. and he did pay in full.. I'm sure these types of promotions do attract the scammers, spammers etc but it does not mean gubbyte cheated them for taking them up in their offer..

• @NickO said: Why can't you verify who you are? Is it really that hard?

No reason to. I haven't done any sort of fraud, so I don't feel the need to identify myself without a good reason.

I can believe that Namecheap are probably taking advantage of this promotion to mass-deactivate accounts, but that's pretty sad.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@gubbyte said: I can believe that Namecheap are probably taking advantage of this promotion to mass-deactivate accounts, but that's pretty sad.

Mass deactivate, and then sell your domains for $$$$ :P

• So.. by not proving who you are, most likely you're hiding something from them.

• I only buy domains on namecheap.com