Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Storage Boxes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Storage Boxes

Hello I was wondering if anyone here had any experience using hetzner's storage boxes https://www.hetzner.de/gb/hosting/produktmatrix/storagebox-produktmatrix. They look decent enough but I'm looking for something that is good enough to take backups from a CPanel server but doesn't need all the functionality of a normal vps but with a high enough i/o that it doesn't take 4 hours to get a 50mb file.

Thanks

Thanked by 1JahAGR

Comments

• The snapshot feature looks interesting. For 39.90 € i could do 12 snapshots of 10 TB which is 120 TB space ^^

• Where is your cPanel server located? Which country/network?

• It's located in the UK at moment.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2016

Redacted.

• DrFallen said: It's located in the UK at moment.

Hetzner or OVH are good options. Both are pretty well connected to the UK, probably OVH more than Hetzner.

• DrFallenDrFallen Member
    edited February 2016

Yeah I've used hetzner and ovh and I've had no issues before but it was more on the product itself as there doesn't really seem to be any reviews or info on them.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2016

I did play around with one of their storage boxes short time after the release... I posted some transfer rates and such into a thread somewhere at let. Just on mobile and too lazy to search. ;-)

Overall I do find it a decent product, you just have to choose which way to connect to it, to have secure transfer at good rates.

And your somewhat limited in how to do backups, as you have no root access but only an unprivileged user which e.g. does hinder direct rsync...

• @Falzo said:
    I did play around with one of their storage boxes short time after the release... I posted some transfer rates and such into a thread somewhere at let. Just on mobile and too lazy to search. ;-)

Overall I do find it a decent product, you just have to choose which way to connect to it, to have secure transfer at good rates.

And your somewhat limited in how to do backups, as you have no root access but only an unprivileged user which e.g. does hinder direct rsync...

Thanks I think I found your thread seems like it's not too bad. I thought I read somewhere you got access to su not that it really matters as it literally just be used as a sftp from one server to another. My previous provider it was taking about 5 hours to do a 30gb backup.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited February 2016

can you use their storage box for hotlinking files?

• @Ruriko said:
    can you use their storage box for hotlinking files?

Those are your options:

FTP
    FTPS
    SFTP
    SCP
    Samba/CIFS
    HTTPS
    WebDAV
    Manage with App
    Useable as network drive

• @DrFallen no su/sudo as far as I know...

but you can use ssh with keys/sshfs to mount it sercurely. as the user is unprivileged, you need to create a large image file, which you can then loop mount into your system and put a filesystem on it.
    this way you can do rsync and such thing which rely on keeping/changing ownerships and permissions.

from my experiences sshfs will be faster then ftp/sftp with most providers (also with hetzner if I remember correctly) , as samba/cifs will be faster too, but I wouldn't recommend the latter as it's probably unencrypted...

• @Falzo said:
    DrFallen no su/sudo as far as I know...

but you can use ssh with keys/sshfs to mount it sercurely. as the user is unprivileged, you need to create a large image file, which you can then loop mount into your system and put a filesystem on it.
    this way you can do rsync and such thing which rely on keeping/changing ownerships and permissions.

from my experiences sshfs will be faster then ftp/sftp with most providers (also with hetzner if I remember correctly) , as samba/cifs will be faster too, but I wouldn't recommend the latter as it's probably unencrypted...

I think you're right, There isn't any other form of shell attached which is fine for what I need it for it. The I/O is far better from what I've seen so far still seems cpanel takes a while to backup but that's probably more a cpanel thing more than anything.