Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Duplicating VMs in Proxmox VE 4.0
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Duplicating VMs in Proxmox VE 4.0

Hi!
I have a dedi installed with the OS above, I'm making 32 VPSs out of it, and to install each thing it would take a while so ofc I would preffer to install windows, and all my things in one VM and then clone it.
But I think this would bring problems to the cloned VMs, I know how to change the MAC adress, but I don't know if I need to do anything else after cloning a VM so it doesn't bring problems in the future.

If anyone has any sugestion, I would be grateful

Comments

• tommytommy Member
    edited February 2016

No, thats okay. Just clone

Thanked by 1francis2
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Apart from windows licencing issues with changing bios uuid, I don't see an issue. Windows like to nag you for reactivating because of seabios uuid change or other hardware change(mac address as you know).

I got virtualbox to restore windows 7 several times and I just copy paste back my hardware uuid in vm.vbox. It needs to be same as it is in ~ / .config / Virtualbox / Virtualbox-or-something.conf.

Also, cloned debian machines will have the same SSH host keys if you don't mind it.

• @tommy said:
    No, thats okay. Just clone

@GM2015 said:
    Apart from windows licencing issues with changing bios uuid, I don't see an issue. Windows like to nag you for reactivating because of seabios uuid change or other hardware change(mac address as you know).

I got virtualbox to restore windows 7 several times and I just copy paste back my hardware uuid in vm.vbox. It needs to be same as it is in ~ / .config / Virtualbox / Virtualbox-or-something.conf.

Also, cloned debian machines will have the same SSH host keys if you don't mind it.

here are issues you have to take care of, anyway:

a duplicated vm will have exactly the same hostname of the original one
    a duplicated vm will have exactly the same mac address(es) of the original one
    a duplicated vm will have exactly the same ssh keys of the original one
    a duplicated vm will have exactly the same SID of the original one (windows machines only) 

I only change the MAC adress, it's okay? (cuz i don't know how to change the other stuff)
    (and I'm going to install windows server 2008 in the VMs)

• Like I said, depends what you want to achieve. If it's windows, from the looks of it, you're going to roll with trial versions, then you should change your MAC just to avoid any networking confusion.

francis2 said: I only change the MAC adress, it's okay? (cuz i don't know how to change the other stuff) (and I'm going to install windows server 2008 in the VMs)

Thanked by 1francis2
  • @GM2015 said:
    Like I said, depends what you want to achieve. If it's windows, from the looks of it, you're going to roll with trial versions, then you should change your MAC just to avoid any networking confusion.

Even if I activate windows via crack in the father VM and only then clone it?

• windows licensing wont be a problem. I suppose he's going for trial version though, guess he wont pay for licenses just to do his TE crap ;-)

• Yes. I need to stop responding to questions.

Falzo said: windows licensing wont be a problem. I suppose he's going for trial version though, guess he wont pay for licenses just to do his TE crap ;-)

Thanked by 2netomx francis2
  • @Falzo said:
    windows licensing wont be a problem. I suppose he's going for trial version though, guess he wont pay for licenses just to do his TE crap ;-)

So mean :/

• @GM2015 said:
    Yes. I need to stop responding to questions.

Thanks for answering!

• @francis2 said:

maybe I am mean. but I am not a fan of TE, hitleap, jingling and all such things, which tend to make damage to the VPS business.

please don't take this directly as personal offense, as long as I have read your posts, I have to admit you've been honest and fair about and at least you're not going for cheap VPS as a noisy neighbour.
    but as such you seem to be an exception to that business ;-)

and probably once you achieve your goal to setup your dedi properly, you'll come to the conclusion that your 32 VM are hindering themselves too much to achieve the performance you are striving for... (which maybe then lets you look around to abuse poor VPS rather than give up on TE shit ;-))

Thanked by 2GM2015 doughmanes
  • @francis2 said:
    (and I'm going to install windows server 2008 in the VMs)

Since when login to windows asking for ssh public key?

@ympker @ftn might have some clue?

Thanked by 2doughmanes GM2015
  • @Falzo said:

Thanks, and you're right, I may be doing this and I know it's a bad thing to do, but I'm a minor and I feel that I need to make my part to help my parents, and to help pay college when the time comes.

• Would be good to just create them one by one instead of cloning them and having to change all of the network settings don't you think.