Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 32bit have any Ram Limit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 32bit have any Ram Limit?

ftnftn Member

Does CentOS 6.x 32bit have any Ram limit like Windows 32bit platform?

Comments

• PAE?

Thanked by 2Jacob netomx
  • Any 32 bit operating system has a memory limit of 4 GB. There is however PAE which enables 32 bit systems to use large address spaces and therefore more than 4 GB RAM. Nowadays however you should got for native 64 bit operating systems. They allow to run any 32 bit software on them, too. Only 16 bit applications will not work (who's using them nowadays? not likely to be used by any normal person).

And older CPUs might not support PAE. I suppose no one is using them nowadays anyway. Even my old Athlon 64 has native 64 bit support.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @FVPS said:
    And older CPUs might not support PAE. I suppose no one is using them nowadays anyway. Even my old Athlon 64 has native 64 bit support.

It even has 64 in its name XD

Thanked by 2netomx namhuy
  • FVPS said: who's using them nowadays? not likely to be used by any normal person

I can think of few. ;) However, 64 is the best option if you're spinning something on a new server.

• 4 gigs for a 32 bit system, but don't try using PAE, i mean it's possible but really go to 64 if you need the extra RAM.

• MunMun Member
    edited February 2016

Seriously? How shitty of a sysadmin are you.

You are a disgrace on all of us, and you should be ashamed of the "services" you offer .

I feel sorry for your customers due to the fact that they are royally getting fucked out of their money.

-shakes head furiously-

• edited February 2016

Is it just me, or does it seem as though OP is passing questions for his clients?

Because the total amount of stupidity seems to be seriously impossible to match up to any sane human being...

Anyway, here's how you find out if you can put hundreds of GBs on a 32-bit CentOS installation:

sudo rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Thanked by 1zionvps
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I really need to start looking at who's posting these questions before I try to be helpful.

Thanked by 2MikePT doughmanes
  • FVPS said: Only 16 bit applications will not work (who's using them nowadays? not likely to be used by any normal person).

Ok, entirely serious... has Linux EVER supported 16-bit?

• @Rallias said:
    Ok, entirely serious... has Linux EVER supported 16-bit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embeddable_Linux_Kernel_Subset

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    It even has 64 in its name XD

Indeed. It was not that much about the name but rather about how old that CPU was. It's from a time where 64 bit was almost unknown to all people and Windows XP still was the most wide spread OS. Old good times. Even the mainboard of my Athlon box had a cap of 4 GB RAM (max 4x DDRI 1 GB sticks).

OP is lacking basic computer knowledge. May whoever he believes in be with him to help him through this hard times...

• @FVPS said:
    OP is lacking basic computer knowledge.

he does obviously

• emgemg Veteran

@FVPS said: OP is lacking basic computer knowledge.

OP is working with a provider who is a 12 year old. What do you expect? :-p

• CentOS 32bit with PAE only know 12GB.