Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

runabove shutting down VMs on February 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

runabove shutting down VMs on February 17

Greetings,

Our RunAbove IaaS Lab has been a huge success as our users have deployed thousands of instances during its entire lifespan.

Thank you very much for your contribution to this formidable adventure.

Our community is now aware that its definitive version has been released on OVH.com a few months ago.

Some of you have already deployed their own Public Cloud instances.

The time has come for us to bring this Lab adventure to an end. By that we mean that RunAbove IaaS Lab underlying infrastructure in SBG & BHS will be shut down.

Please make sure that your data is kept safe before we start the procedure. The final curtain shall be drawn on:

Wednesday 17th February 2016 at 11:59 pm PST

If not done already, you are more than welcome to migrate your VM from RunAbove to OVH.com Public Cloud.

Please follow the instructions disclosed in this guide to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Once again we cannot thank you enough for the invaluable contribution you have made to help us build the performant, cost-effective, flexible solution we know today.

Which is why we will perform all necessary operations in order for your last month's consumption on RunAbove to be simply wiped out.

Your OVH Customer Advocate will be in touch with you should you choose to migrate your workloads from RunAbove to OVH.com Public Cloud.

We cannot wait to count you as an OVH customer and give back all the value you have helped us design.

See you on the other side...

Best regards,

The RunAbove IaaS Team.

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Do I read it right they'll be shutting down runabove.com and all the labs, free daas, existing vm-s and all other stuff they have on that date?

Ah, just logged in. Anyway, I'll be wiping my daas that I haven't used for some time now.

https://cloud.runabove.com/
    https://webanalytics2.ovh.net/
    https://cloud.runabove.com/piwik.php
    https://cloud.runabove.com/text/javascript
    https://cloud.runabove.com/piwik.js

• They have actually killed all my VMs 2 hours ago. I can't start them and they're in Status "Error". ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Just migrated my last VM yesterday. Lucky me.

Well, they actually sent out notifications to some of us in november...

• shiiiit...

New ovh lineup here I come

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited February 2016
     18:58:54 up 283 days,  7:05,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.05

I'll miss you...

Good that my credits runned out that month anyway.

Thanked by 1Ndha
  • Is the $2.50/mo "sandbox" instance considered IaaS and going away? That's all I use/care about.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2016

GM2015 said: Do I read it right they'll be shutting down runabove.com and all the labs, free daas, existing vm-s and all other stuff they have on that date?

No, it seems only regular cloud VM instances in SBG and BHS.

ARM Cloud (zone HZ1) is not mentioned and should keep running for a few weeks more (then it transitions into paid "beta", but still at RunAbove), and DaaS is not mentioned at all, so I'd expect it to be still active for now as well.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Is Windows Server available with VPS SSD?

• +--------------------------------------+-------------------+--------+----------------+-------------+-----------------------+
    | ID | Name | Status | Task State | Power State | Networks |
    +--------------------------------------+-------------------+--------+----------------+-------------+-----------------------+
    | xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx | fvz-rec-fr-sbg-01 | ERROR | rebooting_hard | Running | Ext-Net=92.222.80.xx |
    | xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx | scr.meo.ws | ERROR | rebooting_hard | Running | Ext-Net=92.222.88.xxx |
    +--------------------------------------+-------------------+--------+----------------+-------------+-----------------------+

Meh. If they would at least allow me to take a backup but they're not answering to tickets :(

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited February 2016

@Ree said:

Yes, all Runabove VMs are shutting down including sandbox instances. Relevant forum post.

FYI to everyone - OVH Public Cloud requires a minimum deposit, last time I checked it was ~$40.

• It was $40 for me today.

• Not for me. I can use the public cloud with my existing account on a regular pay as you go principle.

• DeskaaS is offline?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2016

@Frecyboy said:

I'll miss you...

Good that my credits runned out that month anyway.

The Credits get removed with the VM's as i got told, when they where created for them.

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • There is currently an issue on our block storage infrastructure @SBG:

https://status.runabove.com

If your instance is unreachable, this is due to this issue and not because we decided to close down in advance.

Thanks a lot again for your understanding

https://community.runabove.com/share/announcement/closing-runabove-instances-lab-need-more-time

• @howardsl2 said:
    FYI to everyone - OVH Public Cloud requires a minimum deposit, last time I checked it was ~$40.

And some love http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1549616

Most of pay as you sh*t cloud required minimum $25. They never mention minimum deposit until you log in

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited February 2016

@tommy said:
    They never mention minimum deposit until you log in

Not quite correct. The main page (that does not require a sign in) clearly shows that Public Cloud starts at $45.00 per month.

As for the link to WHT. That poster has a bit of history of ranting about providers. Check his post history there.

• I mean their public cloud storage. Sorry for the confusion

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Dam, have a sh*** load of credits on runabove :(

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I hope they send out some kind of notice to customers instead of just posting here in the Forum. That would be kind of crappy.

• It's sad they did not announce this long time ago. If I remember right Runabove was not labs for OVH a year ago.

• Now it is :) that why I stop using runabove

• @tommy said:
    I mean their public cloud storage. Sorry for the confusion

As long as you have a balance with the OVH Public Cloud, you will not be invoiced a minimum fee for a new object storage project.

For example, I have a recurring monthly Public Cloud fee for my VPS systems. I can also create as many object containers I want without any initial and separate minimum deposits. There is free incoming bandwidth traffic to object storage and $0.015/GB outbound bandwidth fees which is just over $15.00 per TB.

That said, could OVH make it clearer as what fees apply upfront / monthly? Yes they can but it takes constructive feedback from customers to make improvements.

I think that OVH is really onto something with the direction they are headed. And like any provider - big or small, it is up the perspective buyer to educate themselves on what they are initially purchasing in terms of upfront fees along with monthly fees etc. This also applies to technical details and support expectations before making a decision to purchase.

• @CenTexHosting said:
    I hope they send out some kind of notice to customers instead of just posting here in the Forum. That would be kind of crappy.

They did send out an email to all customers... 2 hours after SBG went down :)

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • One of my OVH SSD vps went down yesterday , I am not sure if it is related to this or not , but i spent $5 on a phone call for $3.5 VPS for faster support.