Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[CLOSED] Free or cheap vm/dedicated server for nonprofit.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[CLOSED] Free or cheap vm/dedicated server for nonprofit.

GrahamGraham Member
edited February 2016 in Requests

No longer needed.

I'm the Systems Administrator for Students Uniting Memphis, we require a server with decent DDoS protection and unmetered bandwidth to host our campaign page and other services. Sponsoring us permanently will get your company linked back to on the forums and the founders name engraved on a plaque as a large contributor in a memorial of which we are planning for a black lynching victim.

Thank you for reading, if you can inquire please email [email protected]

Thanked by 1Dylan

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2016

Just answer these questions and you're set:

- why do you need a dedicated server (why not a VPS from e.g. OVH)?
    - can you prove that you have a domain for this so called "website"?
    - why can't you pay out of pocket? Hosting from e.g. BuyShared costs less than a cup of coffee and a decent croissant...
    - can you prove that this is legitimate (you have one post...)?
    - une adresse << Gmail >>?

• GrahamGraham Member
    edited February 2016

We don't exactly need a Dedicated Server and I'm about to order the domain with SSL. I'm just trying to get a server capable of hosting a website that can't be taken down by a stresser- we've got no legitimate form of identification, soon we'll have a GoFundMe page and will be attempting to become a registered nonprofit.

• Nobody will take you seriously with a gmail address and without link to any projects, schools, universities or other public details about you.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • The gmail address is strictly temporary and we'll be hosting a mailserver once we get a server to host it from. I am just the systems administrator and I'm doing this all for free and on short notice, if we do have credentials of any sort I don't know how to access or provide them.

• Just get some spare hardware from your local recycler and set it up wherever you have internet access.

• GrahamGraham Member
    edited February 2016

@0xdragon said:
    Just get some spare hardware from your local recycler and set it up wherever you have internet access.

We're based out of the south and we're combating racism with the projects we plan. Normal internet access isn't going to cut it, honestly.

• If this is simple project you can use free services like Blogger or Tumblr and than use custom domain. Or if you need free server try OpenShift.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • tommytommy Member
    edited February 2016

Using gmail? Non profit?

Need ddos protection

Just get vps super cheap vps including ddos protection or buyvm $15/y.

Shared hosting really cheap nowdays

• @Graham said:
    We're based out of the south and we're combating racism with the projects we plan. Normal internet access isn't going to cut it, honestly.

There are a multitude of services that you could use:

• Wordpress

• Tumblr

And, if you think you're really in need of assistance with this stuff: http://www.autistici.org/en/index.html and https://help.riseup.net/en will give you a serious hand with anti-censorship etc.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • suMemphis.org is about to be registered under the following details: http://i.imgur.com/Bu0icRj.png

• Wat?

Overton High School
    1770 Lanier Ln, Memphis

• Correct.

• Why do you want the server.

What is your plan that requires Ddos and unmetered traffic for a non profit?.

For a large maybe but for a small non profit why are they set that high?

edited February 2016

@Graham said:
    We're based out of the south and we're combating racism with the projects we plan. Normal internet access isn't going to...

Why can't you just get a cheap VPS and use Google Shield to protect it (since you're "nonprofit")?

• Huayam

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

Depending on the school they will have test servers that you can use. Go to the IT dept and they can help you out. If you are asking for free hosting because you are a non profit your not going to get anyone to give you free hosting until you have the 501c3 in hand and they will ask to have a copy of it. Even then most wont give just free. they will give you a big discount but still charge something.

• Damn, I have a @****.edu.sg email, am I elligible for some premium VirMach or BuyVM?

• @theroyalstudent said:
    Damn, I have a @****.edu.sg email, am I elligible for some premium VirMach or BuyVM?

Only some premium digitalocean & aws lol

• Requesting thread closure. I'm going to receive hosting from an external source- thanks for your "support" to the project.

• edited February 2016

@ALinuxNinja said:
    Only some premium digitalocean & aws lol

AWS and Google rejects my Prepaid MasterCard iirc (need that to redeem free credits)...

DigitalOcean probably works fine with it (have ~$20 of credits left)...

• @theroyalstudent said:
    DigitalOcean probably works fine with it (have ~$20 of credits left)...

That's because DO will only allow you to run on credits you've bought; they will never need to charge your card based on your usage, unlike AWS/Google who need to know they can bill you for overages.

• @Nekki said:
    That's because DO will only allow you to run on credits you've bought; they will never need to charge your card based on your usage, unlike AWS/Google who need to know they can bill you for overages.

Thanks for the explanation, turns out that the real cunt is still pretty helpful at times :)

TL;DR: AWS/Google is expensive af and they all love money, don't use them unless you want big bills when you get free DDoS.

edited February 2016

@Graham said:
    Requesting thread closure. I'm going to receive hosting from an external source- thanks for your "support" to the project.

@jarland pls we need u again come /sarcasm

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Graham said: We're based out of the south and we're combating racism with the projects we plan. Normal internet access isn't going to cut it, honestly.

Oh horseshit. You just want to feel like you're embattled.

Thanked by 1GM2015