Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Dedicated Server Offerings - What do you guys want? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More Dedicated Server Offerings - What do you guys want?

13»

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

Technically I don't think AT&T /Comcast even allows you to host your websites from home, you would have to find a ISP reseller that does!!..

@shovenose said: Even though it would be nice to sell some dedicated servers from my closet for like $30/month :)

I knew a few people that rent office space for cheap and just stuff it with servers, not sure if they're still in business but back in the 90's I think it was profitable to do.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@earl: yeah I know AT&T never noticed, only twice.

• @pubcrawler said: 500GB? That's rather small these days.

Exactly. I want 1PB (petabyte)

500GB? who the heck even uses 500GB? lol.

• Are manufacturers even making and shipping 500GB SATA drives still? I haven't bought one in years. 500GB or thereabout SAS drives, sure probably still lagging back there in smaller size like they've been.

500GB gets eaten up real quick. A 16GB box gets 16GB of swap file up front. Then the install size. Might approach 10% usable space there combined.

Common to see 1TB drives offered these days even in similar older machines.

Odds are if you think 500GB of disk is huge, you probably have no real use for 16GB of RAM...

• @pubcrawler said: Are manufacturers even making and shipping 500GB SATA drives still?

Believe it or not not everyone needs more than 160GBs. My current job bought a bunch of 500 GB drives in bulk because we don't need 1TB or even 160GB for that matter.

We used them for hard drive replacements and we mowed down them pretty quickly. Needless to say it was cheaper than bulk purchasing 1TB drives especially when that is overkill.

TLDR: Yes they are still made and honestly are probably still extremely useful.

• I believe it @mojeda, are you using 16GB of RAM servers too though?

• @pubcrawler said: Odds are if you think 500GB of disk is huge, you probably have no real use for 16GB of RAM...

Have you heard of in-memory db clusters?

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited January 2013

@pubcrawler said: I believe it @mojeda, are you using 16GB of RAM servers too though?

These aren't for servers, but what does manufacturers still making 500GB hard drives have anything to do with 16GB of RAM and servers?

My new PC has 16GB RAM and an eight core CPU. But a 300GB VelociRaptor :)
    I don't use a ton of disk.

• shovenose: What would be your offering for one with two 500GB drives and a decent ~128GB SSD?

• Out of curiosity are you going to be the person in charge of networking?

@Shados: would an Intel SSD make you happy?

@NHRoel: you mean like building the network and setting up routers, etc? heck no lol.

• Why no?

• in-memory db clusters...

Sure familiar with them.

We typically pair those with small drives, they are called SSDs..

• Guess for the in memory database crowd, pairing the offering with a single SSD would make some folks happy.

Other folks (like me) would be interested in multiple drives and larger drive.

Remote power control is something I am always interested in having. So reduces bothering staff when something goes slightly wrong.

• @shovenose: Probably; what model?

• DDoS protection is something else the market wants.

Any provider offering such should see pretty healthy sales, where the cost is at or near the LEB rates.

• @pubcrawler: Yeah, but doing DDoS mitigation at all well is fairly fundamentally hard and expensive - realistically you need to have some level of agreement with your larger upstream providers to be effective, and then they also need to be doing their part of the job well.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Sorry to bring this bring this thread back I just want to make it public record that I will not be buying servers from @shovenose as discussed earlier in this thread.