Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to divide resources for my LEMP stack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to divide resources for my LEMP stack?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a major site upgrade, and I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to redo my underlying VPS setup. How would you assign resources for a LEMP stack? I normally put Nginx + PHP-FPM + a cache mechanism like memcache or Redis on one VM, and MariaDB on a separate VM. I was thinking this time about doing:

• VM #1: 2 vCores, 1GB RAM, SSD storage --> Nginx + PHP-FPM + (possibly) Redis or memcache
  • VM #2: 1 vCore, 2GB RAM, SSD storage --> MariaDB

I'm thinking that PHP-FPM will be more CPU heavy than MariaDB, which is why I'm favoring more cores for that VM, and more RAM for the internal caches that MariaDB has.

Or something else?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Plot twist: buy one bigger VM, put everything on it, enjoy the speed boost of talking to MySQL in memory instead of over slow network.

I'd only go to two VMs if one of them got too big, and there are 4GB/4c (even 8GB/4c) VPSes out there.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • raindog308 said: Plot twist: buy one bigger VM, put everything on it, enjoy the speed boost of talking to MySQL in memory instead of over slow network.

Hmm, that's another good option. I guess I could start with that an spin off MariaDB only if the load gets too high (which happened before, but this is a different server).