Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Cheap Cloud Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible Cheap Cloud Storage

aubertaubert Member
edited February 2016 in General

I'm finding for cheap cloud storage with space more than 100GB , i'm tired of owning private cloud storage because it always give me error problem so i decide to find possible cheap cloud since i dont really consider my data is important, its just kind of video and photos

Comments

• i'll assume you want to host it yourself: if you want a VPS with decent storage, and its not important to be on a RAID 10 or something, ill recommend time4vps. Using them for the same needs as you. should cost you about 2€ a month.
    if you just want to install an application and start syncing... i dont know :D maybe google drive? they offer 1TB for 10$ a month, i think thats pretty good.

• I've been playing with infinit for this but at the moment it's been giving me a bit of a headache in terms of getting it working correctly, my current opinion of it is that it's an interesting idea that shows a lot of potential but it feels like they released it a bit to early and it's not quite ready for the prime time yet.

Currently it's running to 2 VM's on my co-lo'd box + Time4vps

The 2nd vm however is temporary so I had enough storage nodes to hit my replication factor, once delimiter activates my storage vps I ordered they will be the 3rd storage node.

• @dragon2611 said:

if you are getting it to work as intended, I'd love to see some kind of tutorial ;-)

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited February 2016

@Falzo Nope having some rather serious issues with the client device (mac-mini) that has the drive mounting where there is a lot of stuff in the local cache that's not uploading in an timely fashion.

I've been speaking to the infinit team in their public slack channel, and I'm not sure yet if it's something I've done wrong with the way I set up my "network" or if the replication function is just broken.

I do wonder if it's because when I first set it up not all my storage nodes were online so some will have missing blocks but then it really needs to be able to handle that to work in the way I want (I.e it's useless to me if it can't recover from data missing from one or more nodes, as far as I'm concerned if at least one storage node has a copy of the file and is online it should be able to heal itself or at a minimum allow me to specify to restore those blocks if it can't do it automatically )

Edit:

I think it might well have been that where I'd been playing/setting up things not enough nodes had all of the blocks on so couldn't reach consensus/quorum. I just nuked all the data (It was just a test copy) and started again with all nodes blank and it seems to be happier now.

• @dragon2611 said:
    Falzo Nope having some rather serious issues with the client device (mac-mini) that has the drive mounting where there is a lot of stuff in the local cache that's not uploading in an timely fashion.

I've been speaking to the infinit team in their public slack channel, and I'm not sure yet if it's something I've done wrong with the way I set up my "network" or if the replication function is just broken.

I do wonder if it's because when I first set it up not all my storage nodes were online so some will have missing blocks but then it really needs to be able to handle that to work in the way I want (I.e it's useless to me if it can't recover from data missing from one or more nodes, as far as I'm concerned if at least one storage node has a copy of the file and is online it should be able to heal itself or at a minimum allow me to specify to restore those blocks if it can't do it automatically )

Edit:

I think it might well have been that where I'd been playing/setting up things not enough nodes had all of the blocks on so couldn't reach consensus/quorum. I just nuked all the data (It was just a test copy) and started again with all nodes blank and it seems to be happier now.

A bit curious about how it works, havent had much time in the last while to check it out. If I add a file to infinit, does the file immediately become available to all the mounted clients?

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited February 2016

That would depend if you had it mounted with --async enabled or not (in which case it uploads in the background)

It's still giving me problems at the moment, it's working in the sense I threw a folder with 4-5K small files totalling 1GB, I can see blocks in the local cache and they are definitely being uploaded but I have around 35Mbit of upload and i'm lucky to hit 3Mbit at the moment.

What's worse is if it ls that directory it just hangs the terminal waiting for it to complete.

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • @dragon2611 said:
    That would depend if you had it mounted with --async enabled or not (in which case it uploads in the background)

It's still giving me problems at the moment, it's working in the sense I threw a folder with 4-5K small files totalling 1GB, I can see blocks in the local cache and they are definitely being uploaded but I have around 35Mbit of upload and i'm lucky to hit 3Mbit at the moment.

What's worse is if it ls that directory it just hangs the terminal waiting for it to complete.

Thanks,

Guess I will keep using glusterfs for now.