Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which server would you prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which server would you prefer?

sanmax88sanmax88 Member
edited February 2016 in Help

Which server config provides better value, in terms of general performance and costs (assuming they cost about the same)?

1:

E3-1240 V3

120gb SSD + 1TB HDD

>

16GB RAM

>

10TB BW ON 1Gbps

>

/29

2:

Dual L5630

120gb SSD + 2TB HDD

32GB RAM

30TB ON 1Gbps

/29

Assuming they will be used to create 4 VPS nodes all for web server purposes, disregarding hardware options upgrade, RAID and disk disaster recovery concerns, which config do you like best?

Vote
  1. Vote41 votes
    1. E3-1240 #1 Config
      58.54%
    2. L5630 #2 Config
      41.46%

Comments

• a free advice, don't go with the second if the providers first letter is "V"
    unless you want to a high blood pressure for the next few days.

• Haha no worries, I got these quoted from providers I've trusted already, had services with them for a long time

• @sanmax88 said:
    Haha no worries, I got these quoted from providers I've trusted already, had services with them for a long time

if you trust the 2nd then its the best deal over the 1st .

• @Caster said:
    if you trust the 2nd then its the best deal over the 1st .

How so? For just 4 VMs on it, I would prefer option 1, because of "more wow" CPU single threaded. If he does not need the bigger diskspace and RAM then he will get more kicks out of machine 1.

• I would personally choose option 2 if better CPU performance is not a concern/necessity. Assuming the same cost, option 2 offers more bang for your buck.

• 2, more room to grow

• @Amitz said:
    How so? For just 4 VMs on it, I would prefer option 1, because of "more wow" CPU single threaded. If he does not need the bigger diskspace and RAM then he will get more kicks out of machine 1.

having extra ram and disk is more profitable considering op's needs.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

Oh wait! I misunderstood the OP. He is not looking for one server to put 4 VMs on it, he is looking for four servers to create x VMs for webhosting... In that case: Option 2. My bad.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I picked option 2. In general option two IMO would be better. I always try to plan ahead. If you think you are going to do x then plan for xx. that way you are always ready for what comes.

• I pick 1 if its for game server purposes but as the op states it for web hosting i think 2 is a better choice.

• Definitely server 1 for any purpose.

• Id for #2 aswell

• only a fool would choose number 2 and on number 2 the ssd will be slower.

• Definitely 1 What is url ?

• If you need more RAM (Who knows what you plan on doing), then go for option 2. Otherwise the 1st server will provide better processing power.

• @sanmax88 Who is the provider? And the pricing?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

If you don't need the extra space and ram of option 2 go for option 1.

Since ressources will be shared having a bigger cpu will provide you more flexibility.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

E3 and there no questions.

• first options is best for vps production. You need the extra processor power over disk space. Although the extra RAM on the second is great. But i would still go option 1 over 2. Good luck

• Agree with ceibaNet, first options is good for vps production.
    E3 ofcourse best for all purpose. I will go with second option.