Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS Located within New York City - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS Located within New York City

2»

Comments

• @Nick_A said: How expensive are they? Would think NYC is crazy pricey.

Not cheap :P

• tech163tech163 Member
    edited January 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: For the record, a test IPv4 would be 204.145.65.7 so any thoughts and comments on routing/latency are also appreciated.

~10ms.

I've honestly been looking for this over the last 2 weeks. I'd love to get a KVM in NYC. There are quite a few providers in NYC but there are none that provide low end (spec and price wise) KVM.

• There's Corgitech, which is VMWare, on the high end of LEB.
    • There's DigitalOcean, which I don't really consider to be KVM even though it is.
    • There's AlienVPS, whose monthly price starts at $14/month

A low end KVM in NYC (perhaps 128MB ram and low price) would be perfect.

• Looks like the decision is almost made. Its probably going to take around 2 weeks to get the hardware in place and ready, but we will more than likely be taking pre-orders with a LEB discount of course.

Thank you all for your feedback!

• Another +1 for NYC metro.

• Don't buy in Manhattan. It's not worth it, NJ is right across the border, is much less expensive and the latency cost is negligible to zero. Some NJ sites have better latency than most NY sites, like Constant, for example. They're in NJ but their network is super fast. Ping them and you'll be surprised.

@GetKVM_Ash Seriously consider Constant.com. I've used some of their services and their network is the best in NYC metro and is better than almost all DCs in NYC.

• @flam316 said: @GetKVM_Ash Seriously consider Constant.com. I've used some of their services and their network is the best in NYC metro and is better than almost all DCs in NYC.

Already spoke to them, they cant meet our budget (Tried multiple times). The only provider that can in that facility is Reliablesite.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Already spoke to them, they cant meet our budget (Tried multiple times). The only provider that can in that facility is Reliablesite.

ReliableSite uses Choopa, which is the same network that Constant uses (they are sister companies). You'd get the same network performance as Constant does. If you can meet their prices, I'd go with them. Can't get much better than this: http://just-ping.com/index.php?vh=reliablesite.net&c=&s=ping!

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2013

Isn't GetKVM already in Choopa?

Facility02 - Piscataway, New Jersey USA
    The Choopa data facility in Piscataway provides redundant power backup with instantaneous fail-over and is connected to major backbone providers in the metropolitan area on-site. With over a 1000GBPs of network connectivity this data center is nothing short of reliable.

Test file download - http://newjersey.getkvm.com/100mb.test

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/172906

• @TheLinuxBug said: Isn't GetKVM already in Choopa?

We ended up getting a better quote moments after launching our first node there (As you do). So we ended up pulling it before we gained any customers, to explore our other options.

• Ahhh, Okay, that makes more sense. Was wondering why you were looking at New York while you were in Choopa. Makes sense now :)

Thanks for clearing that up!

Cheers!

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

No LEB KVM in NY/NJ area yet? It seems like someone was slightly faster :)
    (hint: lowendbox.com)

• @Spirit said: No LEB KVM in NY/NJ area yet? It seems like someone was slightly faster :)

(hint: lowendbox.com)

There still new and again, based in NJ not central NYC :)

• I feel like the only market for people who NEED their servers in Manhattan is the financial vertical, definitely not the LEB community. It really isn't necessary, and NJ is less prone to flooding (not including the shore). : )

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@flam316 but then again... location diversity can be advantage. For host and potential clients. There is or will be soon atleast few Piscataway NJ LEB vps hosts and one from central NYC can stand out for those who don't want to put all eggs in same basket or for some reason don't like NJ DC at all. Just look at Chicago. Colocrossing.. all over the LEB colocrossing like this would be the only DC in this area.

• Way too much dependency in Buffalo and Chicago on Colocrossing.

There are TONS of options in Chicago though that aren't Colocrossing. In New York, slightly less options and in Buffalo, well there isn't much.

• @Spirit absolutely. Downtown NYC is a great selling point.

Piscataway isn't bad. For me it's only 1ms more. But NYC just feels much closer :P

• flam316flam316 Member
    edited January 2013

@Spirit I don't feel like there's enough draw to justify the outrageous cost on a downtown NYC location. It's just to expensive for us budget minded LEBers. :)

EDIT: Location means nothing if you can get better performance/price just over the border. You'd probably get crappy performance if you'd pay the same price as a NJ DC in NY because of the price/performance ratio.

• edited January 2013

And Colocrossing isn't even Chicago, it's about 30 miles north-west of Chicago... But I guess some people even claim South Bend is Chicago these days.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@flam316 where did you get "outrageous cost" :)
    From what I understand, Ash explored more options to find viable solution and he clearly said that some other options didn't meet his budget so we can't really assume about "outrageous cost" (that would be dumb from him and he can most likely do better than that).
    Beside that location matters if you're the only one to offer certain product with competative pricing in so big area with great link between two continents.

• @Spirit said: where did you get "outrageous cost" :)

DC costs are outrageous in NYC, period. Something major has to give for DCs to get their pricing anywhere close to NJ DCs.

@Spirit said: From what I understand, Ash explored more options to find viable solution and he clearly said that some other options didn't meet his budget so we can't really assume about "outrageous cost".

See above.

@Spirit said: Beside that location matters if you're the only one to offer certain product with competative pricing in so big area with great link between two continents.

You can get an equally great link between EU and US in NJ. Location isn't as important as performance/uptime, and that will suffer at the same price point. I'm not exactly sure what deal @GetKVM_Ash has in downtown NYC, but NYC is inherently more expensive than NJ and to get those prices down to the LEB level, performance/uptime/quality of support is often sacrificed. I'm sure others will agree with me.

• @flam316 said: DC costs are outrageous in NYC, period.

Because we tend to pay one of the nations highest tax, rent and energy bill? Living cost is more expensive in new york? It is not outrageous when other states have 5$/hour minimum wage while new york has 7.25$/hour :)

• @NHRoel said: Because we tend to pay one of the nations highest tax, rent and energy bill? Living cost is more expensive in new york? It is not outrageous when other states have 5$/hour minimum wage while new york has 7.25$/hour :)

Well, yes, I know that. I don't live far from NY. This doesn't change the fact that DC prices are insane compared to the suburbs.

• @flam316 said: Well, yes, I know that. I don't live far from NY. This doesn't change the fact that DC prices are insane compared to the suburbs.

They are left with no option :(

• @NHRoel said: They are left with no option :(

Why is there no option? They don't HAVE to have a DC in Manhattan.

• @flam316 said: Why is there no option? They don't HAVE to have a DC in Manhattan.

Still expensive.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@GetKVM_Ash said: There still new and again, based in NJ not central NYC :)

Ask them how long they've been doing it. You might get an interesting response, I hear.