Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To VPS Providers in LET: What's a fair cost for a better solution? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To VPS Providers in LET: What's a fair cost for a better solution?

124»

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:
    When there is a version I can install I will test it.

We are deploying a public demo soon but there won't be a version which you can evaluate on-premise until we release v1.0 which is scheduled for the end of this month.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

DETio said: We are deploying a public demo soon but there won't be a version which you can evaluate on-premise until we release v1.0 which is scheduled for the end of this month.

I have managed for 6 years I can wait another month :)

• DETioDETio Member
    edited February 2016

AnthonySmith said: I have managed for 6 years I can wait another month :)

Sure, we will be setting up deployments for customers manually by the end of this month - Within another 2 months probably it will be fully automated. Just one script to run in each host that you want to add to the platform.

Also just updated our website, any thoughts?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Feel free to pm me as well when you got it ready, we're interested.

edited February 2016

Btw, its KVM, right? Scripts are updated by you, daily I assume? How do the upgrades to the apps work? Is it like Amazon, single click to upgrade? Is internal network fully working?

• MrGeneral said: Btw, its KVM, right? Scripts are updated by you, daily I assume? How do the upgrades to the apps work? Is it like Amazon, single click to upgrade? Is internal network fully working?

Our PaaS system automates the ability to update the applications, our apps are built from Source code through Chef/Docker (Whichever you prefer) - And is integrated directly with the source github repository so automation is simple. Users can also design their own applications which can then be available in the marketplace under 'Custom Applications'..

Also I've pm'd you regarding a demo of where we are at right now, functionality is not a 100% yet but all the blocks are there they just need to be connected. For example -> We haven't setup any of the one-click apps yet but our PaaS works great with custom apps thus working on integrating a variety of popular applications will not be hard..

Thanked by 1MikePT

@DETio said:

Really interesting. I'm looking forward to discuss further, I love the project.

• @DETio take solus's example and use rpm/deb for installation. Will be a lot better in the long run.

• pcfreak30 said: take solus's example and use rpm/deb for installation. Will be a lot better in the long run.

We are building an automation platform that installs OpenNebua Host, OpenNebula Hypervisors (You can enter more than one server), DET.io Dash (Self-hosted/VM through our PaaS system).

• mattvmworldmattvmworld Member
    edited December 2016

btw, i think virtengine is not yet launched, because I am not finding any URL to download enterprise edition. Anybody has it ?

• @mattvmworld said:
    btw, i think virtengine is not yet launched, because I am not finding any URL to download enterprise edition. Anybody has it ?

If you need it, get a hold of them, and they would do it for you.

• @mattvmworld said:

For enterprise edition / public edition (for hosting providers) you need to contact us in the meantime and we'll help you out , for opensource you can install it through our documentation https://docs.virtengine.com/

edited December 2016

@DETio said:

@mattvmworld said:

For enterprise edition / public edition (for hosting providers) you need to contact us in the meantime and we'll help you out , for opensource you can install it through our documentation https://docs.virtengine.com/

No: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1927380/#Comment_1927380

You missed your first date, then promised if you also missed the end of November you would not post here any more.

Edit: Obviously a new product is welcome :)

Price wise: the same or similar to solusvm is the right price for a product that can replace it, asking any more is commercial suicide.

A product that replaces it and offers a genuine and significant improvement with added features that actually invites further sales, you can charge a bit more, but it needs to actually be worth the extra.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Price wise: the same or similar to solusvm is the right price for a product that can replace it, asking any more is commercial suicide.

I'm sure there are plenty of businesses whose viability doesn't hinge on a couple of extra dollars per month going out the door.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

@DETio said:

@mattvmworld said:

No: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1927380/#Comment_1927380

You missed your first date, then promised if you also missed the end of November you would not post here any more.

Edit: Obviously a new product is welcome :)

A product that replaces it and offers a genuine and significant improvement with added features that actually invites further sales, you can charge a bit more, but it needs to actually be worth the extra.

To add to this, if a migration path is offered from Solus then you've got a very viable product.

Microlinux said: I'm sure there are plenty of businesses whose viability doesn't hinge on a couple of extra dollars per month going out the door.

Yep I am sure of that as well, but in this specific market segment which has a relevancy of 4 or 5 companies, entering in competition is a careful strategy which is easy to get wrong by misunderstanding your own value.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    competition is a careful strategy which is easy to get wrong by misunderstanding your own value.

If you let your value be completely driven by your competitor's prices, you'll end up with the same garbage you're competing against.

edited December 2016

Microlinux said: If you let your value be completely driven by your competitor's prices, you'll end up with the same garbage you're competing against.

Well usually I would agree, but in this context the 'garbage' you describe has been the industry leader for 6+ years with no viable alternatives, so if you produce something that is 'equal' to said 'garbage' a significant price increase will attract no flies.

If you make a better smelling pile of garbage though, then the price can be justified, but I think that was my original point anyway.

Given freedom of choice, would you pay $1 for a snickers or $2 for a snickers, and if you were going in to business to bring a new snickers to the market that offered nothing new, you would simply be assuring your failure by pricing it $3.

• Include Web Hosting as well, not just servers. A decent Cpanel/WHM/WHMCS Alternative that didn't cost an arm and a leg would be awesome.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    Include Web Hosting as well, not just servers. A decent Cpanel/WHM/WHMCS Alternative that didn't cost an arm and a leg would be awesome.

cpanel has this arm of the market. ZPanel failed and whatever they're fork is... plesk is another alternative although only really used on windows.

There wouldn't be a viable path in the web hosting panel market. Vesta is the nearest alternative I can think about that could be a good alternative. But not paid.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2016

You want 10% of my revenue (not even profit lol) for a VPS panel? and still 2.5%-5% on a 100kEUR+ volume/yr?

What incentive do i have to this over spending 2 years of payment for the panel (10000EUR) as development (external) or hiring a programmer for 2-3 months?

As others mentioned i can also cheat this (= report far less) unless you take data from my billing system which is not only a security risk but plain and simple illegal if you are not inside the EU or under a foreign data sharing agreement - i can't have some random AU Pty Ltd. access my customer records or billing data...

DETio said: Creating Snapshots - Rebuilding VM's from Snapshots - Automating Snapshots with Scheduler - Downloading Snapshots (Will also be available if a user is suspended) (either v1.0 or v1.1/2 will support this)

My scripts do that, probably even better:

• Snapshots hot via ZFS (4 lines bash)
    • Compress snapshots live for download as either pure filesystem (dd) or zfs send, including all sub snapshots or an entire tree (9 lines bash)
    • Spin up new VMs from this snapshot in a new volume OR as real snapshot with merge back (16 lines bash, vmware behaviour in a way)
    • Schedule snapshots by cronjob (wtf, that is a feature?) (1 line bash to call function and a crontab entry per VPS or for all)

Building from ISO. (either v1.0 or v1.1/2 will support this)

What does this even mean? I can use any ISO for boot, i have windows drivers automated and i can create templates from running VPS as well as existing snapshots (around 30 lines bash, mainly to check/fix if needed network config and set a new key/root pw).

Auto Scaling and Implementing our Anti-Bleed Mechanism. (Scheduled with high priority after v1.2)

Yes, i can use curl to monitor an endpoint as well and spawn more instances, then either add an A record (the cheap way, eg route53 weight) or reconfigure a running nginx to LB to it (AWS way, by having LB local and internal network).

Load Balancing (Scheduled with high priority after v1.4).

... i don't get that one either? Nginx in a LB config is a few lines at most, and writing nginx configs for user input via panel is now... not hard. And i use bash w/ sed.

Francisco said: You have to compete with more or less ~free from the Proxmox side of things. While the modules are way uglier than your platform, some bootstrap here/there and a weekend of time and they'll be set.

Exactly, a few weekends time and actual motivation + proxmox come out to a few thousand bash/whatever you prefer lines and offer a simple cmdline API, logic in panel is overrated anyway - just form a backend service and use a frontend only.

https://prnt.li/1480873744-aj0eepha.png

Thanked by 1Foul
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited December 2016

Thanks for taking your time to post:

William said: You want 10% of my revenue (not even profit lol) for a VPS panel? and still 2.5%-5% on a 100kEUR+ volume/yr?

This was only an experimental pricing to gather feedback, we never proceeded with that pricing and have since updated it to a more reasonable pricing

https://docs.virtengine.com/pricing

Regarding 'Auto Scaling and Implementing our Anti-Bleed Mechanism'/'Load Balancing'

These are features that extend our Platform as a Service, after users launch code (like Heroku) through VirtEngine, they are then capable of automating all the above in a few clicks.

The end-result is, a user launches their App (be it through PaaS or through our marketplace of hundreds of catalog based apps) through a launch and forget style.

The app automatically scales with the users needs, spawning more instances as loads get higher-etc.

Auto-Scaling is a feature we're currently experimenting with that allows VM's to Dynamically Assign Resources, thus becoming "Elastic VM's".

Our platform is OpenSource, we only charge for our close-sourced product which is an extended version of our OpenSource. However all our core code can be found on VirtEngine GitHub, an open platform means that users like yourself can extend on functionality which gets merged onto the close-sourced product.

• @DETIo Fix your pricing page.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@MSPNick said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    Include Web Hosting as well, not just servers. A decent Cpanel/WHM/WHMCS Alternative that didn't cost an arm and a leg would be awesome.

cpanel has this arm of the market. ZPanel failed and whatever they're fork is... plesk is another alternative although only really used on windows.

There wouldn't be a viable path in the web hosting panel market. Vesta is the nearest alternative I can think about that could be a good alternative. But not paid.

In Germany Plesk has probably around 95% market share, cPanel is only used by some smaller providers, so it's not really only used on Windows. I tried both and in my opinion Plesk is way better.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

What a bad way to start... Targetting a wrong market and then trying to build up negative light on his product even before it takes off.

Any publicity is good publicity, some idiot said and it works sometimes.

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • @MSPNick said:

Is that so?
    I don't know if this is just true for here in germany or Europe, but here almost no one uses Cpanel.
    The smaller hosts almost all have plesk. The bigger ones of course have their own custom built stuff.
    But as I said, my impression is that in small to mid-size hosts the market is more or less completely owned by plesk.

And if you as me, that is for a reason. I have tried cpanel as well and would never want to go back there from plesk. However, that of course is just my personal opinion.
    And of course what's true with any software is especially true with plesk: never update to a new version before it has matured a bit.

• I've just started using Vesta and there are things to like about it, but it is quite minimal compared to cpanel. I've never tried Plesk. Do any of the usual budget hosts offer it? I might try a minimal plan just to give it a whirl.