Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you using Mikrotik in your routing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you using Mikrotik in your routing?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Just curious to know how many of you are using Mikrotik (CCRs or custom hardware) in your routing core networks.

Comments

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Using CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ in 2 locations (Zurich, Frankfurt) for my own network (LIR, own ASN, presence at a public IXP).

• @patrick7 said:
    Using CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+ in 2 locations (Zurich, Frankfurt) for my own network (LIR, own ASN, presence at a public IXP).

Only have one, my other is a Cisco 4451 shared

• Not in the hosting realm, but RB are the main router/firewall/vpn in 9 locations with an additional 9 RB's for wifi utilizing CAPS. Replaced some very very old cisco's with these and haven't been happier. Apples to oranges likely but for my use, VERY reliable.

Here a small picture from my Zurich Location :-)

• @patrick7 said:
    Here a small picture from my Zurich Location :-)

Did you actually go through all the effort of going to the DC to snap the photo? :)

edited February 2016

I have colocation there (2U) for the MikroTik, a SuperMicro Xeon E3 Server and some Raspberries :-) When I'm there, I take some pictures.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @patrick7, do you have place for one Pi 2? :)

• I am using Mikrotik routerboard on my office, as router and internet gateway, serving LAN and WLAN clients. It is extremely reliable, affordable, and easy to configure.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Basically nice gear. Unfortunately their own implementation of various routing protocols within their RouterOS is sometimes a bit "strange". For example I failed to configure a more sophisticated co-existence of BGP and OSPF. In that case BGP routes are not propagated to BGP peers if they are hidden in the active routing table by an OSPF route.
    http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=82738
    Unfortunately MikroTik support categorized this a missing feature and not as bug so it won't be fixed in current RouterOS. Maybe the new routing stack in v7 will be improved which they are developing since years.
    RouterOS definitely can't beat Cisco IOS, but for many use cases they are doing fine.

• We utilize CCR's in most of our main locations and as our three edge routers. The routers we have in our local noc push ~650Mbps pretty much near constantly.

They're niiiiiice.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2016

The thing i hate about mikrotik is their "unique" configuration syntax. I mean couldn't they just copy cisco's syntax, like what most of everyone else does?

Yes, the routing part could be improved a lot. As an example, the routers re calculate the FIB with every BGP update, and as there is no multicore support, one CPU is on 100% all the time.

About the syntax: With some configurations, it makes sense, but sometimes I wish cisco syntax (as an example I wish | include, ability to export bgp config from just one peer, ...).

And they should do more testing.

• I use on my home network, very good and stable. Now I have 200+ days uptime.

• I’ve been using Mikrotik by BGOcloud for a while. And I chose a licensed plan with really good specifications. All I can say is that it’s really reliable.

• used it for many years in my home network, but they don't really have a cheap solution for 1000mbit up/down nat.... so I switched to ubiquiti in the end.