Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good backup provider? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good backup provider?

2»

Comments

• @user123 said:
    What do you guys do in terms of organizing and backing up confidential stuff that is spread out all over over multiple folders, multiple portable discs, and various versions?

You can use EncFS, since it allows storing encrypted parts of filesystems without setting hard limits.

Also, encrypted volumes like those by VeraCrypt can be a solution.

• AveryCatesAveryCates Member
    edited February 2016

@ATHK said:
    rclone is great of you have Dropbox, Google Drive and onedrive with enough space of course..

Thanks for this! I'm trying to migrate Drive to Owncloud and sync without having to re-upload/download everything to my laptop/PC.
    Apparently zipping my Drive files and copying to the VPS, scanning in Owncloud, and syncing the Google Drive folder in Owncloud client doesn't preserve the data enough.

Maybe this will work better.

user123 said: I know it's slightly off topic, but a couple more challenges for the LET (LowEndThinktank) community:

This is literally what I am backing up :) I'm a senior in college.

I don't know if you literally want an example of organizing school subjects...but I legitimately do this so I hope it is helpful if you do. My hierarchy is like this:
    (Sorry for the screenshot but I suck horribly at Markdown when trying to make a list, I guess.)
    (Also, I forgot to add a "Notes" folder under each subject. :p)

Thanked by 1user123
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Hubic

• kimsufi with 2TB disk for temporary storage and upload to hubiC for older backup.

• user123user123 Member
    edited February 2016

@boxelder @AveryCates Thanks for the tips, guys! As I feared, it will likely take a long time to organize said documents. I would be interested in what backup strategy you are using to automate encrypting and backing up your private files to your VPS/remote storage.

The difference in Amazon Cloud Drive prices between their US ($60/year for unlimited) and Canadian sites ($25 for every 50GB) is interesting and makes me wonder if customers in Canada can sign up for the .com plan; I would assume this is allowed. It seems like odrive is an option for syncing, but is it possible to remotely upload files to Amazon Cloud Drive?

ETA: I'm very tempted to get a KS-1 in Canada, but they're currently out of stock and I don't like sending copies of my ID online.