Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAS as SAN Storage (iSCSI) - any recommendations / experiences?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAS as SAN Storage (iSCSI) - any recommendations / experiences?

Hey guys,

been searching for a NAS (in SMB range) that can act as an iSCSI target.
It is going to be mounted on a SBS2011 server as a storage extension.

Main requirements are:

• 1 GigE or 10 GigE
  • >= 4 slots
  • RAID 10

The following devices already came to my mind:

Would be great if everyone of you with some experiences with any of these solutions could share them with me! :)
I also gladly take other suggestions, as this is a pretty new field for me.

Regards, Bochi

Comments

• I have the ds415+ at home. Works like a charm, with 4x3tb hgst-deskstar-nas drives.

• @henkb said:
    I have the ds415+ at home. Works like a charm, with 4x3tb hgst-deskstar-nas drives.

Sounds great! Do you mount it on any server system or directly on client side?

• You mentioned "as san" in the title, do you plan on using it as a storage system for virtual machines?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I have a synology at home, works great.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BradND said: You mentioned "as san" in the title, do you plan on using it as a storage system for virtual machines?

Wouldn't need to be just for VMs...I'm assuming since he mentions iSCSI he's not looking to use it as a NAS.

The DS415+ does support iSCSI...I imagine the OP is looking to get some opinions from those using iSCSI with it.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS415+#spec

Thanked by 1Bochi
  • @BradND said:
    You mentioned "as san" in the title, do you plan on using it as a storage system for virtual machines?
    @raindog308 said:
    Wouldn't need to be just for VMs...I'm assuming since he mentions iSCSI he's not looking to use it as a NAS.

>

The DS415+ does support iSCSI...I imagine the OP is looking to get some opinions from those using iSCSI with it.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't that clear. However @raindog308 pretty much nailed it: iSCSI should mainly be used to mount the storage to extend the main servers storage seamlessly.
    So yes, I would love to hear if (other than the hardware itself, it seems people like it) someone has any experience with this NAS actings as a iSCSI target.

@Awmusic12635 said:
    I have a synology at home, works great.

Thanks, so Synology seems to be used and loved around here.