Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dediserve: data loss confirmed in one Dublin region
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dediserve: data loss confirmed in one Dublin region

edited February 2016 in General

No annoucement, no ticket and no email (yet) but this was confirmed:

Earlier today we suffered multiple disk failures on our storage array for HV10 on our DUB3 cloud platform, the data centre engineer was dispatched to replace these disks, unfortunately due to human error the wrong disks were pulled causing a cascading failure on this RAID array with the loss of all data. Once the issue came to light senior engineers from dediserve were dispatched to investigate, unfortunately by that time the data was unrecoverable and lost. The storage array was then rebuilt and brought back online.

Comments

• jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

Holy crap! I wonder if that guy has a job anymore? I don't know how I feel about this...

Thanked by 2doughmanes netomx
  • BochiBochi Member
    edited February 2016

@jonbeard said:
    Holy crap! I wonder if that guy has a job anymore?

Tough times ahead at least...

As their TOS say "You agree to maintain an appropriate backup of files and data stored on the dediserve clouds", but this will cost them a handful of customers for sure!

• Enjoy your premium expensive cloud.

• wwabbitwwabbit Member
    edited February 2016

Obligatory.

$ whois dediserverefugees.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

No match for "DEDISERVEREFUGEES.COM".
    >>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 15:47:08 GMT <<<

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • Time to make use of their "1000% SLA".

Thanked by 1netomx
  • The issue impacted one Array, paired with one hypervisor, in a single cloud location.

Total impact was to 12 customers, hence no relevance in a release.

Am curious where even that email was released?

Thanked by 2Bochi rokok
  • Holy cow, my 1year+ resource on Dublin-C3, Ireland.

and all good, no issue...

thank god

• high availability raid5 ? again, uptime and SLA are overrated. backups come in handy...

• @Falzo said:
    high availability raid5 ? again, uptime and SLA are overrated. backups come in handy...

We run RAID 50 with a spare in all arrays, this was an exceedingly unfortunate case of DC hands and eyes / human error.

Fortunately the impact was very minor, and anyone impacted has been contacted and compensated.

• dediserve said: Total impact was to 12 customers

Looks like nothing escapes the sauron eye of LET.

• @dediserve said:

I feel for you, shit happens, esp. human error. and I meant uptime / SLA are mostly overrated from customers pov ;-)
    nice to see you're honest about what happened and luckily didn't have a bigger impact.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • No tape backup?

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@black said:
    Looks like nothing escapes the sauron eye of LET.

+1000

• ManuelleManuelle Member
    edited February 2016

Cloud? What happened to failover?

Or as most you provide just KVM "cloud"

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited February 2016

Hang on a minute, if disks failed how come they pulled the wrong disks, surely it was flashing amber on the disks that had failed?

Oh wait no, these perfectly healthy green ones look broken pulls them out!

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Stinks on Raid0

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I remember about 6 years ago getting a call because the new guy doing the fire drill tests pressed the wrong button, to be fair they were both red...... but on opposite sides of the DC, sadly the one he pressed was the EPO which shut everything down and left him in darkness..

That was a fun day...week...month.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I remember about 6 years ago getting a call because the new guy doing the fire drill tests pressed the wrong button, to be fair they were both red...... but on opposite sides of the DC, sadly the one he pressed was the EPO which shut everything down and left him in darkness..

There are buttons that can go nuclear just by pressing them by chance? Awesome!!! :)

That was a fun day...week...month.

:(

• Normal in Dublin DC :)
    Probably Technical need to do 1000 tasks per hour for their hour norm.

• @jarland maybe fix the title of this thread?
    Not really a 'Full data loss'

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

black said: Looks like nothing escapes the sauron eye of LET.

OMG that was awesome.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • edited February 2016

dediserve said: Fortunately the impact was very minor, and anyone impacted has been contacted and compensated.

As a customer, I don't consider two days of downtime and the loss of the VM as something minor. And so far I haven't been netither contacted nor compensated. OTOH this VM has run without problems for 14 months.

bohdans said: maybe fix the title of this thread?

The title is fine. Quoting dediserve: "the loss of all data"
    This is not the end of the world but this is not something that should be ignored either.

• @squibs said:
    No tape backup?

We provide free 10gb snapshot space with all plans and customers can enable a daily snapshot to NAS. Anyone with such a snapshot was rolled back to then. Luckily that was 8/12 of the impacted customers.

In terms of failover, that's for hardware failure not this :(

• Shit happens. A few years ago Wooservers did a similar thing. My VPS was completely wiped. I had to reinstall from scratch and backups.

• @hostingwizard_net said:
    This is not the end of the world but this is not something that should be ignored either.

If you were impacted and not contacted, please PM me your account ID to investigate!