Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orange pi becomes unreachable after few GB of sftp transfers. (Solved)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Orange pi becomes unreachable after few GB of sftp transfers. (Solved)

NihimNihim Member
edited February 2016 in Help

So I 've been an owner of an orange pi (the $15) for some weeks.
I got this weird problem where while transferring with 2 connections via sftp files the transfers hang (edit after 3-4GB+), ssh dies and on ping I get "Destination host unreachable."

the orange pi's lights and the attached usb disk are still on.

I 've done 30h of badblocks test on the disk and 20min of 2 threads cpu & one for ram with stress-ng everything fine. Dmesg and syslog show nothing relevenat after I remove and re apply power - which is the only way I 've found to make it responsive.

Ideas on what it might be or how to troubleshoot it?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Powersupply to weak, had the same issue on Raspberry PI, if i started using the Network port it consumed to much power.

• NihimNihim Member
    edited January 2016

@Infinity580 said:
    Powersupply to weak, had the same issue on Raspberry PI, if i started using the Network port it consumed to much power.

MM using the "3A" charger that came with it as a bundle :/ Either not really 3A or the pi & disk (pretty old 2.5") require more?

So need to find a charger that can supply even more A?

Edit

Btw it works for the first 3-5GB of transfers.

• all the Pis are gimmick toys

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nihim said:
    Btw it works for the first 3-5GB of transfers.

BananaPI with 2A Charger and 2,5 1TB USB works fine, maybe try a dfferent charger.

Is the OrangePI still running, do you see blinking lights and Network drops?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Maybe it overheats -- there are some cases with misconfiguration of voltage and frequencies in the FEX/BIN file. See this thread for discussion: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux-sunxi/20Ir4It3GsA
    also http://linux-sunxi.org/User_talk:Tkaiser#Lessons_to_learn_from_Xunlong

Thanked by 2Nihim netomx
  • @Infinity580 said:

power and usb lights are on and ethernet light is blinking at steady intervals.

@rm_ said:
    Maybe it overheats -- there are some cases with misconfiguration of voltage and frequencies in the FEX/BIN file. See this thread for discussion: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux-sunxi/20Ir4It3GsA
    also http://linux-sunxi.org/User_talk:Tkaiser#Lessons_to_learn_from_Xunlong

will read, btw that's why I stressed the cpu, to see if overheating will cause it to get stuck. Though you might mean overheating in other places.

• So read a bit, google docs are kinda too complex for me but some of the points are what is described on the sunxi page, the voltages set are stupid. Will try to run the script to modify the voltages.

• Try replacing the charger/psu with a known good quality one.

• @rm_ it might be too early but thanks a ton!

Did the voltages changes to script.bin (and ended up modifying the rest too). Been stable for past 15min, temps max at 59 which is pretty darn fine.

Also I noticed ping dropped from ~ 250msec while transferring via sftp to 20-50msec while a lot of the time it drops back to <1msec, which I don't know what it means :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Nihim said: Also I noticed ping dropped from ~ 250msec while transferring via sftp to 20-50msec while a lot of the time it drops back to <1msec, which I don't know what it means :)

If you find that it's now cool enough at the maximum frequency, you could just disable the frequency scaling altogether (set the cpufreq governor to 'performance'), maybe this will improve performance and reduce latencies somewhat.

• @rm_ said:

Alright might try it at some point, though so far perfomance seems sufficient enough!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited January 2016

I have a similar situation, whose symptoms are almost identical to yours. I am using a cheap USB 3 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. When I download some large files over SFTP at 100 megabits speed, sometimes it locks up exactly as you describe. The connection and data LED indicators look right, but the SFTP connection is dropped and I cannot restore it. Even rebooting the system doesn't fix the problem, and it cannot get a DHCP public (Internet) IP address from the ISP. It all looks okay and the LEDs light and blink as you would expect, but it doesn't work. The important thing is that it only happens when I download those large files using SFTP at 100 Mbits/sec, and only ~15% of the time. It never fails from ordinary use.

When such failures occurred (several events over the past year), no amount of troubleshooting with the ISP would fix the issue. Eventually after several hours, the system would simply come back and start working, and keep working.

Initially, I blamed the ISP. I jumped to the conclusion that the ISP was deliberately killing the link and holding back on the DHCP service. I assumed (probably wrong) that they thought I was downloading movies and wanted to give me a time-out. I was not downloading movies. It was all legitimate, legal data, but they can't see through SFTP, and the file sizes were comparable to two or three DVDs.

About a week ago, I happened to unplug and then reconnect the USB-to-Ethernet adapter from the computer, so the adapter lost power completely. Instead of waiting several hours, it started working as soon as I rebooted the system.

Friends had warned me about only using adapters with genuine Intel or Broadcom chips, but this started out as a prototype, so I bought cheap. My friends told me that the other brands are not reliable under heavy loads. Based on my own experience, I think they are right.

I need to experience another failure to be sure that my unplug, reconnect, reboot process works. Still, I think that is the answer for those lockouts during large, high speed downloads.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but perhaps your Ethernet adapters are doing the same thing to you - crashing under a heavy load.

• thanks @emg for your suggestion, but the problem was corrected by doing the fix to the voltages as rm_ pointed out.

Thanked by 2netomx emg