Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Providers - Looking for "Rent To Own" in LA, Kansas City, possibly other locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Providers - Looking for "Rent To Own" in LA, Kansas City, possibly other locations

geekalotgeekalot Member
edited January 2013 in General

Due to privacy considerations, any more specific questions/answers will be provided directly to providers via their Client Area/Sales Ticketing/Email system (please specify) as we see interesting offers posted here. Thank you in advance for any and all offers!

I am looking for "Rent To Own" Dedicated Servers with the following requirements:

- Specs:
- match or beat Dacentec prices/config (see the specific config & price at the bottom)
- we have nothing against Dacentec - we are already a Dacentec customer - we need other locations and want provider diversification
- Provider replaces defective hardware during 1st 12 months
- brands we will consider: Dell, HP, SuperMicro (possible alternate: Rackable)
- 1U (up to 1amp power consumption preferred)
- at least 8 cores
- Xeon or better CPU
- at least 2.5Ghz (3.0 or better preferred)
- at least 16GB RAM
- at least 4 HD bays with 2 x 1TB Enterprise class SAS/SATA HD (i.e., 5 yr warranty with at least 12 months left with decent "SMART" output. No SCSI)
- Gigabit port (dual gigabit better)
- at least 10TB Bandwidth
- some form of "out of band" remote control (IPMI, ip KVM, etc). ip PDU on top of this would be a nice bonus
- some form of RAID card would be desirable
- decent SLA/reliable support (positive feedback from other customers or via reliable online forums)
- reliable network (i.e., uptime and/or positive feedback from other customers or via reliable online forums)
- ability to add our own hardware (e.g., hard drives) at least 3 times for no charge

- Locations:
- Primary: LA (alternates that might be considered: Las Vegas, Seattle)
- Primary: Kansas City (alternates that might be considered: Dallas)
- Alternates that we might consider: Miami, New York City/NJ
- Must be a secure facility with backup power
- Blended bandwith from multiple upstreams
- PCI compliance (HIPAA compliance highly desired)

- Miscellaneous:
- We would like to establish a good long-term relationship with a decent provider as we try to grow our business and offerings
- We are a registered LLC with Paypal Verified account; accordingly, we will NOT provide copies of driver's licenses or utility bills, etc
- monthly paid; we will NOT pre-pay more than monthly
- paperwork must clearly establish that server will become property of the Customer after 12 months of service
- after 12 months, option to colocate; price to colocate same hardware not to exceed $50/mo

- Purpose/Reasons:
- All lawful purposes
- We currently utilize at least 13 low end providers and would like to consolidate some proprietary offerings and offer paid services, & APIs with custom load balancing, failover, high availability
- We are custodians of 200+ domains, including some continuously registered from the early 1990's ... so we are not a scammer, spammer, DDOSer, "summer host" etc.
- We want to take our business "to the next level"

- Config to match or beat:
Dedicated Servers - HP Proliant 2XL5420 16GB
- RAM: 16GB DDR2
- Operating System: Debian Squeeze 64 Bit
- Control Panel: None
- Server Network Size: /28 (1 IP for server 12 usable)
- Bandwidth: 10 TB Bandwidth
- SATA / SAS Controller: HP P400 SAS/SATA Raid Card
- First Drive: 1TB SATA
- Second Drive: 1TB SATA
- Third Drive: None
- Fourth Drive: None
$86.00 USD/mo

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I'm sure quite a lot of providers will be able to do RTO deals if you ask them. I've heard good things about @qps and they do good deals, so why not give them a try? They may comment here anyway. Dacentec are great, and we use them too for clients and love them!

Also try SilverKnightTech, they're in LV. Not used them before but again heard good things.

I'm sure other providers will comment here and be able to provide RTO deals or suggest some better than I can.

Good luck in your search!

I'd actually be interested in something like this too, so will be watching this thread closely! :)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2013

@dominicl: Thank you, I have actually contacted quite a few providers (including the ones you have mentioned); I am awaiting feedback from some.

I really did not want to do this in such a public manner, but I need to move forward on this and I am getting tired of waiting for responses.

@dominicl said

I'm sure quite a lot of providers will be able to do RTO deals if you ask them. I've heard good things about @qps and they do good deals, so why not give them a try? They may comment here anyway. Dacentec are great, and we use them too for clients and love them!

Also try SilverKnightTech, they're in LV. Not used them before but again heard good things.

I'm sure other providers will comment here and be able to provide RTO deals or suggest some better than I can.

Good luck in your search!

@geekalot said: @dominicl: Thank you, I have actually contacted quite a few providers (including the ones you have mentioned); I am awaiting feedback from some.

Yeah, there's probably a few providers that do RTO deals but don't advertise them. I'm sure some more people will comment with some suggestions too!

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

It's not worth doing RTO on hardware like this. All the hardware 9 times out of 10 is going to have been used before, and It will be useless in 12 Months. Find a good E3 RTO, which I know ColoCrossing offer.

• I might be able to do something like this with Dual Quad L5420, 16GB, 2x1TB HDD in ATL, Msg me for more details.

• You don't expect LEB prices on this, do you? :)

@Bogdacutuu said: You don't expect LEB prices on this, do you? :)

I don't think he does ;)

• Have you checked WHT?

• @MonsteR: will do as necessary. Thank you

@Bogdacutuu: No, I gave a sample cost in my post

@curtisg: Checking WHT every day and contacting relevant providers

• @Jacob: don't care if the hardware was used before; just need the hardware to work for me.

Regarding CPU, as my post said: Xeon or better CPU

If there is something better for the pricepoint, I'm all ears

• How many servers are needed? What are your IP requirements?

• @ShardHost, for now 1 in LA, 1 in Kansas City (or Dallas) ... preferably from different providers.

IPs: at least /29.
    /28 (or even more) preferred

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We can probably work up something for you in Las Vegas or Atlanta. Please contact us directly for more details.

• @qps: will do as necessary. Thank you

• All suggested providers have been contacted.

If anyone has additional provider suggestions as well, please feel free.

Thanks

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2013

@Jack said: Colocrossing offer it.

You'll be best emailing them for a quote.

They will not be interested in this type of equipment. They will offer E3's only.

I suggest staying away from the L5420, old technology.

• Chrissy, you make me cry... Blaaa Blaaaa.

E3s are for the rich kids.

@CVPS_Chris said: I suggest staying away from the L5420, old technology.

• @Jacob said: E3s are for the rich kids

What? Even with VAT in UK E3 is cheap imo. I guess everything is a rip off for teenagers without jobs.

• @Jacob said: E3s are for the rich kids.

You can get them for sub $300 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=XEON1230V2

• @Jacob said: E3s are for the rich kids.

E3's aren't that expensive, we're selling e3-1240v2's at $180 and e3-1270v2's at $190

• Funny guy, and how many E3s do you own?

@Patrick said: What? Even with VAT in UK E3 is cheap imo. I guess everything is a rip off for teenagers without jobs.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@Jacob said: Funny guy, and how many E3s do you own?

None, do I need one no? Could I easily go buy out a few? Yes. You can build your servers of used hw of ebay, I prefer SLA backed rented hardware from premium DC. Thanks!

Back to topic, CC will probably do RTOs...My partner and I talk to Jon regularly, very nice chap!

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

@Jack said: and CC are selling them probably $100 less.

First, they aren't selling 1270v2's cheaper(plus we don't use CC for 1270's). Second, honestly they're selling 1240v2 about $20 cheaper then I am.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

And where is your experience from? any tom, dick or harry can lease a server and sell VPSes few bucks a month. Come back when you've been here a while.

And many people here use used chassis, and buy parts from eBay. I just spent a fair amount buying brand new 4GB PC2-5300P Sticks, and more on a batch of new Hitachi drives.

If you're going to go around spouting, atleast have something to backup your big headed attitude.

@Patrick said: None, do I need one no? Could I easily go buy out a few? Yes. You can build your servers of used hw of ebay, I prefer SLA backed rented hardware from premium DC. Thanks!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@Jacob said: And where is your experience from? any tom, dick or harry can lease a server and sell VPSes few bucks a month. Come back when you've been here a while.

And many people here use used chassis, and buy parts from eBay. I just spent a fair amount buying brand new 4GB PC2-5300P Sticks, and more on a batch of new Hitachi drives.

If you're going to go around spouting, atleast have something to backup your big headed attitude.

Please don't kid yourself, plenty of people know you use used hard drives because they're 'cheap'. RAM/Chassis/MB sure np if they're used but HDD lol.

When I've been here a while? Been a pretty 5 months for us, feel free to stick to the cheap(free) software raid etc. Karma is always here laughing and ready to strike. On another note, all our hardware, rented yes. LSI/Adaptec Raid, RE4/10k Velo drives (1TB HTZ), E3-1230v2/40v2/70v2. Still drives in happy customers with stability at such low prices, no negative comments and stable performance.

Regardless, last reply to you. Happy tuesday!

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

I've got a mixture of Samsung / Hitachi / Constellations / RE4, all warranty and bought new so once again these was not bought used, and even if they was the fact of the matter is they have warranty, all our chassis are hotswap so drive replacements are easy.

@Patrick said: used hard drives because they're 'cheap'

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/01/06/1zbsb3VnLFIA22IT

http://serverbear.com/9848/stormvz

Faster than your 15K SAS, huh..?

@Patrick said: feel free to stick to the cheap(free) software raid etc.

You're new, and probably have a small customer base.

@Patrick said: Still drives in happy customers with stability at such low prices, no negative comments and stable performance.

Point being? I have E3 nodes, Dual L5420 are just a tad behind them for nearly the same power usage.

@Patrick said: LSI/Adaptec Raid, RE4/10k Velo drives (1TB HTZ), E3-1230v2/40v2/70v2

I'm going to leave this here, before it starts to get derailed even more.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@Jacob said: You're new, and probably have a small customer base.

Not sure how you can estimate our client base since you don't have access to our WHMCS ;)

@Jacob said: Faster than your 15K SAS, huh..?

Look at the date, we no longer use 15k SAS or Redstation.