Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web-server on intel NUC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web-server on intel NUC

heihachi88heihachi88 Member
edited January 2016 in General

Here's the NUC i3: http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D34010WYKH-Haswell-i3-NUC-Barebone#SYS-NUC-D34010WYKH-configurator

NUC i5: http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D54250WYK1-Haswell-i5-Next-Unit-of-Computing-NUC-Barebone#SYS-NUC-D54250WYK1-configurator

if add 2x4GB ram and 1tb hdd, would it be enough for 50+ websites on drupal, wordpress with very low attendance (~500 visitors per day on one website and on rest ~100)

Comments

• You're the one that knows how heavy the sites are and what kind of traffic you're getting (eg. Spikes at certain times).

The more ram the better (I would Max it out). Also I would go for a ssd for storage.

• @camarg said:
    You're the one that knows how heavy the sites are and what kind of traffic you're getting (eg. Spikes at certain times).

The more ram the better (I would Max it out). Also I would go for a ssd for storage.

max to 16gigs and ssd storage 2.5? Would it fit inside the box?

• If you want a server, why don't you buy a server instead ?

• are you going to colo it? by the way if it's 50+ websites and you don't need that much disk space a ssd disk is much better

• @heihachi88 said:

You can consider buying a server with E3 or lower processor. This looks a desktop CPU, which may not be good for 24x7 working.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

heihachi88 said: if add 2x4GB ram and 1tb hdd, would it be enough for 50+ websites on drupal, wordpress with very low attendance (~500 visitors per day on one website and on rest ~100)

You could host that on 50-cents-a-month shared hosting. Number of websites does not matter - just concurrent usage and you have none.

jphost said: You can consider buying a server with E3 or lower processor.

Well, yes, you could spend hundreds of millions to buy your own 747 to fly you across town, or you could just take the bus.

Thanked by 2lbft doghouch
  • KVM over IP is important, at least in my opinion...

• i am going to place it at my home. It consuming 60watts, so it's ok.

• it probably pulls a bit less than 60w under normal load

• I personally recommend a SSD instead of a HDD.

The Intel NUC is powerful enough to handle several websites and many concurrent connections. The NUC is honestly overkill for your project but it can be a good learning experience.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    KVM over IP is important, at least in my opinion...

Yep one of those things that don't get used very often but can be really important when the OS decides to go take a dump.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Tested NUC, works good as web ( ordered just for testing) . I do not recommend to use it as web server ( desktop hardware, no ecc), but it is good solution if you want to put somewhere in basement. Hope power and internet outages will not be an issue.