Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One time payment VPS (lifetime) in Norway: A Joke? / or $5/month - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One time payment VPS (lifetime) in Norway: A Joke? / or $5/month

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@GM2015 said:

Aruba with their €1/m comes close on vmware, but I'm not sure how long they'll keep this plan.

Getting more Downtimes last weeks, at IT.

• Seems a bit like a joke. I wouldn't risk my $60.

• @raindog308 said:
    Also, 60 years ago computers barely existed.

That's sort of the point. By today's standards, it would take very few resources to virtualize technology that cost $20K back then. Presumably, what we use today is going to look nearly as ancient (and useless) in 2076. The provider can't be blamed because technology marches on.

Hell, I'd love the nostalgia of trying to use some software from just 30 years ago. The dawn of the Mac and PC is lost to most everyone; it'd be cool to get it back via a VPS. What do you think it would take to provide a 4MHz CPU with 128k of RAM and a 10MB HDD? It's 1/1000th what a low-end server is today. Even if you have to move past virtualization to emulation, it would not be more than pennies per month to do that.

• waste of time

impossiblystupid said: Hell, I'd love the nostalgia of trying to use some software from just 30 years ago. The dawn of the Mac and PC is lost to most everyone; it'd be cool to get it back via a VPS. What do you think it would take to provide a 4MHz CPU with 128k of RAM and a 10MB HDD? It's 1/1000th what a low-end server is today. Even if you have to move past virtualization to emulation, it would not be more than pennies per month to do that.

• @raindog308 said:

LOL! very lovely visions of future there, thank you ;-)

• impossiblystupid said: Hell, I'd love the nostalgia of trying to use some software from just 30 years ago. The dawn of the Mac and PC is lost to most everyone; it'd be cool to get it back via a VPS. What do you think it would take to provide a 4MHz CPU with 128k of RAM and a 10MB HDD? It's 1/1000th what a low-end server is today. Even if you have to move past virtualization to emulation, it would not be more than pennies per month to do that.

Right, but IPv4 would be worth more than "nothing" in 5 years from now...

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@info_hash said:

IPv6 won't settle in as much as to take over IPv4 in just 5 years from now.

• @raindog308 said:
    Let's say I'm 18 and sign up for $60. I live to 78. 60 years * 12 months = 720 months. $60 / 720 months = less than 9 cents a month.

I suppose they mean lifetime of the service, not lifetime of the client ;)

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@deadbeef said:
    I suppose they mean lifetime of the service, not lifetime of the client ;)

And the service lasts 1-2 years = profit

OR

They suspend you for eating 0.01 CPU because you broke TOS!

• @Chuck said:
    Can I have the link to Aruba €1/m?

Here is the free trial

https://www.arubacloud.com/free-trial.aspx

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2016

@doghouch said:
    Get a solar car. One time investment for the solar panels (let's say $600). The Sun will provide infinite amounts of energy (until it runs out of particles for fission to work and the Sun implodes) ;)

Wait, I thought the sun uses nuclear fusion...

• You will probably get the same kind of support and maintenance as you pay for it tbh.. And the moment it starts getting not profitable, prepare for the overselling

• @GM2015 said:
    waste of time

Maybe. But beyond nostalgia, there do seem to be an awful lot of business that still depend on some old software that only runs on DOS or whatever. Even I have an old G5 Mac that is around just in case I have some need to get at something that wasn't migrated to OS X properly 15 years ago. If the hardware stops working, what else is there to do but fake the system in software?

@info_hash said:
    Right, but IPv4 would be worth more than "nothing" in 5 years from now...

And? How you connect to the VM really has no bearing on how the system sees the world. Nobody should be jumping into a simulated Windows 95 box and expect to browse the modern web. If a technology is worth nothing, IPv4 or otherwise, it dies. It costs the provider even less than pennies to not virtualize something nobody uses.

• Like Cloudatcost? Oh No... :(

• rokok said: I want to be forever young.

So far so good.

• impossiblystupid said: If a technology is worth nothing, IPv4 or otherwise, it dies. It costs the provider even less than pennies to not virtualize something nobody uses.

Right, but if in X years IPv6 didn't take over IPv4, those IPv4 will be worth something, and keeping them to free VPSes won't be interesting for the company... and that's what would make me think that it's not viable for long term use. If it was that would be a great deal though.

• @info_hash said:
    Right, but if in X years IPv6 didn't take over IPv4, those IPv4 will be worth something,

That's definitely the one resource that has the potential to increase in value. But I really think IPv4 speculation is a losing game. IPv6 is already chomping at the bit to replace it as soon as IPv4 pricing gets out of control. All it takes is one of a few big players to go IPv6-only and the value of an IPv4 address will drop through the floor.

It's the same value proposition as the other things I've mentioned. There was a time when running MS-DOS (or Mac OS 9 or whatever) was extremely valuable to many people. Then it became essentially worthless to most of them except for a few small holdouts. To that increasingly smaller number, it does become increasingly more expensive to have a dependence on outdated technology. There's a niche business opportunity in that, and a one-time-payment model is a perfectly valid way to present it.

edited May 2016

@Ympker said:
    Alright let me throw this in:

Zap Hosting is reliable? Good Joke, bro.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • dailydaily Member

Nice four month necro.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2016

@Neoon said:

@Ympker said:

I never said this. They are among the rather bad hosts in Germany. That doesn't change the FACTS I stated though. They are indeed a reputable provider and have a lot of people who are happy using their services (which is mostly the kind of ppl who dont affiliate themselves with configuring and setting up their own vps environment).

@Ympker said:

@Neoon said:

@Ympker said:

I never said this. They are among the rather bad hosts in Germany. That doesn't change the FACTS I stated though.

"Alright let me throw this in: ZAP HOSTING (a very reputable german game server provider) "

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2016

@Neoon said:

@Ympker said:

@Neoon said:

@Ympker said:

I never said this. They are among the rather bad hosts in Germany. That doesn't change the FACTS I stated though.

"Alright let me throw this in: ZAP HOSTING (a very reputable german game server provider) "

They are a reputable provider, that's for sure. Not sure if you would call a 9,4/10 rating at trustpilot anything different (https://de.trustpilot.com/review/zap-hosting.com).
    A lot of people who do not go through the process of setting up their own vps environment or any self-managed configuration processes and are looking just for an easy solution to host their servers, are in fact very happy with their services. Never did I say that includes myself.

Well, some Years ago they hired 12 Year old People and gave them a free Gameserver or such for doing Support.

Seems like they not doing that bullshit anymore.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Neoon said:
    Well, some Years ago they hired 12 Year old People and gave them a free Gameserver or such for doing Support.

Seems like they not doing that bullshit anymore.

They did indeed once have an awful reputation when their support was ignorant, their cancellations were required to be of the postal type and somehow "did not arrive" and some other things..They have learned from this however and although still being on the pricy side have turned their reputation around within the past years.

• Well looks like the service itself doesn't take new registrations anymore. They just redirect to terrahost now.

I do have one of those one-time-payment vps from them for over a year now and it's still going very good, I'm glad I got one at the time.

• @DashKiller said:
    Well looks like the service itself doesn't take new registrations anymore. They just redirect to terrahost now.

I do have one of those one-time-payment vps from them for over a year now and it's still going very good, I'm glad I got one at the time.

Why did you bump this thread........?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@doghouch said:

@DashKiller said:
    Well looks like the service itself doesn't take new registrations anymore. They just redirect to terrahost now.

Why did you bump this thread........?

To let people know that the service is still alive?

• Are cloudatcost still alive too?

• bapbap Member

"one time payment for forever" is a myth

• elliotc said: Are cloudatcost still alive too?

they are but you have to pay a yearly fee to keep your account active. Not worth it considering their servers are crap.