Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any "storage" seedbox offers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any "storage" seedbox offers?

ChronicChronic Member
edited January 2013 in Providers

I'm not sure what this community's opinion of P2P is but I'm pretty sure similar questions were asked before. Nonetheless, feel free to scold me if I'm posting this in the wrong section or if I shouldn't be posting it at all.

I've been on the hunt for a seedbox plan for a while now, but am yet to find something to fit my needs. I was hoping I'd have more luck around here. What I'm after is a dedicated server or a VPS - whichever works for the provider - with a hard drive of around 1-2TB and roughly 2-3TB of bandwidth on a 100Mbps connection. The processing power and memory are not a big concern so I'm fine with lower specs.

I'd be using the seedbox exclusively on private trackers, so DMCA complaints are highly unlikely. What I am after is long-term seeding, so speed is not a priority here. In fact, I'm quite happy with older hardware if it keeps the price down. The only provider to somewhat fit my needs so far has been OVH with it's Kimsufi plans (especially their special yearly plan with a 2TB HDD that is now unfortunately out of stock), but I feel like even the 2GB of memory that comes with the mKS 2G is overkill in this case.

Do you think this kind of a setup is possible? Can anyone match the Kimsufi offer?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2013

Having more RAM is not an overkill, it is used as disk cache. Torrenting generates a lot of random IO and more memory for caching can improve your performance a lot.
    I think the Kimsufis are your best bet for this.

• @rds100 said: Having more RAM is not an overkill, it is used as disk cache.

Learning something new each day, thanks. I was judging from the previous seedbox I used, the memory usage was pretty low if I recall correctly, sorry.

• RAID60 OpenVZ - 1600GB HDD, 6400GB bandwidth is $43.70/month
    https://www.cloudshards.com/backupvpshosting.php

• I can definitely say that @concerto49's plan is working great for me. Great network.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited January 2013
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I've heard good things about this

https://seed.st/seedbox?p=max

• @MikHo said: I've heard good things about this

https://seed.st/seedbox?p=max

I've owned one of the seed.st seedboxes once (100mbit). It was great for the price, no complaints at all.

• I appreciate the replies, I've given both CloudShards and Seed a look. Unfortunately Kimsufi still beats the two as far as price is concerned.

I'd hate to sound ungrateful for the offers, but perhaps rds100 was right about this and OVH's budget line does indeed fit this particular niche better than the alternatives.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Only 'advantage' for seed is that everything is setup already. No root however but that might not be a bad thing :)

• @MikHo said: No root

That's pretty much a deal breaker, since I'm running a bunch of scripts to simplify the downloading/uploading process.

• Actually, kimsufi will be worse when it comes to the actual seeding, since it's only 100Mbps, seed.st for example can give you up to 10Gbps

• @Bogdacutuu said: Actually, kimsufi will be worse when it comes to the actual seeding, since it's only 100Mbps, seed.st for example can give you up to 10Gbps

Check their server stats page. Their most active 10gbps server is actually pushing 1417.98 mb/s, so about 1.4Gbps.
    Notice how the disk i/o is hitting 77%; they'll be lucky if they get past 2Gbps.

Divide that number between however many people are crammed onto the server - Most likely at least 20, and you'll soon realise that it's not so great of a deal after all.

Cut the middle man and go direct, imo :)