Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net comments/warnings?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net comments/warnings?

Anyone using online.net? should i buy a box with them for my website?

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@IThinkUFailed @Shayr and I have all been with, and just left them. Where do I start? Welcome to the land of fake DDoS allegations, rubbish support that actually swears at customers and generally passes the buck. Avoid them

• Well some people have issues with them, others don't. Boxes are good though.

Thanked by 2geekalot GCat
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Read the fuckin TOS before u go for them else you might get in trouble!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2016

Good (automated) service, decent network, shitty support.

Best bang for the buck in Europe.

adxn said: Read the fuckin TOS before u go for them else you might get in trouble!

This is valid for any provider.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited January 2016

Hmm wouldn't actually say it's a decent Network, expect if decent means lots of packet loss in zhe evening. At least it was like that couple months ago.

• i guess ill stick with usa servers even though they seem to cost more.

Frecyboy said: Hmm wouldn't actually say it's a decent Network, expect if decent means lots of packet loss in zhe evening.

Not my experience, and I push a lot of traffic to Telefonica.

Maybe DTAG/UPC are different.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited January 2016

@Nyr said:
    Good (automated) service, decent network, shitty support.

Best bang for the buck in Europe.

This is valid for any provider.

Now they got 24/7 support. Please explain why its shit?

When i opened a ticket 10PM (GMT +2) and got an answer within 10 minutes. And that was a billing ticket not a support ticket.

Got a hard drive fail and they replaced within 60 minutes. Maybe i am a very lucky customer.

• @Nyr said:
    Maybe DTAG/UPC are different.

They have a peering to DTAG now (through hopus), but connectivity to UPC is still shit in the evening.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@Frecyboy said:
    Hmm wouldn't actually say it's a decent Network, expect if decent means lots of packet loss in zhe evening. At least it was like that couple months ago.

That was an issue that has mostly been resolved now that they have completed upgrades to the network e.g. AMS-IX uplinks.

ZweiTiger said: Please explain why its shit?

Because on average they aren't more helpful than OVH. I don't care if they reply in 10 minutes if they don't fix my problem.

My latest hard drive fail wasn't as smooth: the controller was failing randomly and the support rep just said something along the lines of... "I booted in rescue and shows up! SMART looks fine!" or some shit like that, when I had already provided more than enough proof to warrant the disk swap.

But I had plenty of fun dealing with them. Another example:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/34653/clueless-online-net-support

And have you checked those recent reports of them randomly suspending servers for inexistent outbound DoS and how the reps reacted?

My opinion stands: good or even great for the price, until you need some human help. Then, you can play the lottery.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • MOST IMPORTANT : If you Plan to Cancel do it BEFORE 20th of the month. Else they will bill you for the next month.

Thanked by 1nathanlopez
  • akzakz Member

def read the TOS; for some reason I like ovh more than online.net. Online.net responds to your tickets faster but they seem to be mostly unhelpful responses. Extremely difficult if you are not french speaking as well. Alot of their stuff advertised is misleading such as their windows license claims english but installs french. If its a small box doesnt really matter but I wouldnt trust them for anything serious.

Thanked by 1nathanlopez
  • nathanlopeznathanlopez Member
    edited January 2016

Mridul said: MOST IMPORTANT : If you Plan to Cancel do it BEFORE 20th of the month. Else they will bill you for the next month.

^^^^^^ Do that!
    I didn't, and they emailed me everyday for about a month demanding I pay my $6~ bill even though the server had already been terminated. Never paid the bill, and have not heard back from them since.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2016

I have 4 dedis with them (2 kidechires and 2 normal).
    Support is very good, for any price range you use them. Even for general questions (no troubleshot) the responces are usually in less than an hour.
    Responces are helpful, at least according to my experience with them.
    I had a pre-fail hard drive to one of kidechires (not failed yet) and they replaced it almost immediatelly.

Network is pretty decent. Better than most of small datacenters in Europe. This is all the network peers they have:

Very good price for the service they offer.
    Failover ips (individual ips as addons), up to five for 2 euros each.
    IPMI and a great variety of images to load, autmatic with no limits reinstallations and a free ftp space up to 100GB for each server.
    And, last but not least, unmetered bandwidth.

I am very happy from online.net.

Thanked by 1Rhys