Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why public web proxy become attack target?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why public web proxy become attack target?

kampungkampung Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hi,
As subject said.
What i mean by public web proxy is a kind like hidemyass . com
What is the motivation to do the attack?

Comments

• Same reason any other website or server is attacked. People are dicks.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

Here's the most likely scenario:

User accesses site/service using public proxy.
    User angers somebody while still using public proxy (this can be caused by anything from disrespecting their mother to using all lowercase letters in their username).
    User's IP displays as public proxy IP.
    Public proxy now becomes the target of attack.

• You don't DDoS the guy that comes on your site and starts being rude... right?

• gkzgkz Member

We don't, but other people do

• I think people use public proxy have intention to do some bad things in the first place. That's why they want to wipe their traces. And public proxy got the retaliation.

• @dnwk said: I think people use public proxy have intention to do some bad things in the first place.

Like keeping in control of their personal right of privacy? Every human being has the right to keep his identity and traces to it private as he wishes. I assume that you also don't walk through the streets having your ID# printed in big letters on your shirt for everybody to track you down.

• Get your own server, install your own proxy, end of problem.

• @skagerrak said: Like keeping in control of their personal right of privacy

If you really wish to keep stuff private, how will you trust a public proxy? Some basic privacy measure I look is stop using gmail and run my own email server. which I can do encryption and know for sure if someone try to peak in. If I don't want my ISP to see my browsing history, I run a openvpn to my VM from my home router. I don't any public proxy can really treat your privacy with any reasonable measure.

• @Ishaq said: Get your own server, install your own proxy, end of problem

This is what I mean. You want privacy then get your own server.

• Sounds like a salesman pitch.

• @dnwk said: If you really wish to keep stuff private, how will you trust a public proxy?

Why should using a public proxy not create a certain level of privacy? You're hiding the IP you're connecting from from the end-servers you are visiting. If that is your aim, then the public proxy just serves it's purpose.

• @skagerrak said: hen the public proxy just serves it's purpose

Then the Proxy server knows a lot about you!

• Or even a man-in-the-middle attack for SSL connections like what Nokia does.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2013

@dnwk said: Then the Proxy server knows a lot about you!

Maybe. But the intention was not to be completely invisible. The proxy should just hide the private IP. That's what the OP wanted. Besides that he's the owner of the proxy. I guess he can trust himself.

Edit: To late here. I mixed up the threads.

• Is running you own squid proxy any better? Can't your VPS neighbors sniff your traffic?

• @bdtech said: VPS neighbors sniff your traffic

In theory, it can happen. However, Your ISP has more incentive to do that as they could sell some meaningful data. However, sniff your VPS neighbors is less likely to gather some useful information and I doubt any would try that.