Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please remind me of the website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please remind me of the website

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited January 2013 in Help

I remembered someone once posted a website on LET that has the ability to monitor any webpage (including where login is required) and if the website is updated, it will send you an email with the updated content.

Could anyone please share that site again? Thanks a bunch.w

Comments

• it would take a few lines of code to write a script for this, sir

• @gubbyte said: it would take a few lines of code to write a script for this, sir

True, I guess sometimes I am just being lazy since it is almost midnight :)

• @gubbyte said: it would take a few lines of code to write a script for this, sir

No it won't.

Have you ever used PHP or heard of the fsock, MySQL and mail functions? Get contents from a page, store in DB, run checks daily to see if content has changed. Around 10-20 lines which would include any SQL.

• @NickO said: No it won't.

Have you ever used PHP or heard of the fsock, MySQL and mail functions? Get contents from a page, store in DB, run checks daily to see if content has changed. Around 10-20 lines which would include any SQL.

are you having a giggle?

import time
    import urllib2

r = urllib2.urlopen('http://url/').read()
    while True:
        s = urllib2.urlopen('http://url/').read()
        if s != r:
            HURR_DO_MAIL_STUFF_HERE()
        time.sleep(300)

oh, and OP didn't even specify how complex it was

• Get contents from a page, store in DB, run checks daily to see if content has changed

Generate a SHA1 hash of the content and store that instead, use curl, you don't need mysql.

Can easily be done in 5-6 lines, but yeah - use changedetect.

• @gubbyte said: oh, and OP didn't even specify how complex it was

python ftw

• Thanks, exactly what I am looking for.

• @zhuanyi said: Thanks, exactly what I am looking for.

How quick are their notifications? As in, how frequent are their checks for changes?

• @Chronic said: How quick are their notifications? As in, how frequent are their checks for changes?

Anyone who have used their services?

• Ah, looks like they don't support HTTPS on the free plan, and paid plan start at 25 bucks a year, now I need to do my own coding then I guess...

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited January 2013

It depends how sensitive your detection needs to be. Some sites put the date at the top, random news feeds, social, or rotating ads. Then you consider and updated layout but the same content. You really don't want this in 5 lines of code