Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup SoftEther VPN like Hamachi without SecureNAT?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup SoftEther VPN like Hamachi without SecureNAT?

I would like to setup SoftEther VPN like Hamachi, so that each client can communicate with each other, but traffic is not redirected.

If following this tutorial, http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/05/17/softether-on-vps-using-local-bridge/

Is it simply enabling the DHCP that will accomplish this (and not use iptables)?

Each client will be able to communicate with each other through the private ip's that dnsmasq gives out.

I suppose it can be done without dnsmasq, if each client provides a static ip?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• probably tinc will be good but

yeah it can accomplished via soft ether VPN server or OpenVPN

• The way I do it is have a network bridge setup on the VPN server, have a DHCP server setup for the virtual network with no gateway setup. Connecting clients will get assigned an IP address and will be able to talk to each other but they won't have a gateway so the client won't use it to get to the Internet. You could also static assign the addresses to the clients of you want. Just leave the gateway out. Works for me on the OSs I use. (windows, Ubuntu)

• @kazuken I believe what you are wanting is: Neorouter Free. When Hamachi got purchased by LogMeIn and turned it into a pay platform, this became the best VPN software of that type for free. It will allow you to do p2p networking on Windows/Linux/Mac/Android with a 10.x.x.x network with a pretty easy setup and very little maintenance.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    kazuken I believe what you are wanting is: Neorouter Free. When Hamachi got purchased by LogMeIn and turned it into a pay platform, this became the best VPN software of that type for free. It will allow you to do p2p networking on Windows/Linux/Mac/Android with a 10.x.x.x network with a pretty easy setup and very little maintenance.

Cheers!

Thanks, yeah I know of this. But since its not open source I am afraid it might go paid one day too!

• Softether also does that with the help of dnsmasq.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

that's bad news, last time I used hamachi for playing games from the UK with my friends where I'm from and it was great. that was around late 2009

TheLinuxBug said: When Hamachi got purchased by LogMeIn and turned it into a pay platform, this became the best VPN software of that type for free

• @kazuken said:
    I would like to setup SoftEther VPN like Hamachi, so that each client can communicate with each other, but traffic is not redirected.

If following this tutorial, http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/05/17/softether-on-vps-using-local-bridge/

Is it simply enabling the DHCP that will accomplish this (and not use iptables)?

Each client will be able to communicate with each other through the private ip's that dnsmasq gives out.

I suppose it can be done without dnsmasq, if each client provides a static ip?

Thanks for any advice.

It shouldn't be an issue if you want to use static IP when you use layer 2 base VPN (except L2TP). As long as the link state is up, you can communicate with another PC via layer 2 protocols.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2016

kazuken said: Thanks, yeah I know of this. But since its not open source I am afraid it might go paid one day too!

The only difference here is that the software is already out there and works great, you don't rely on Neorouter for any of the service, you host the server. So, even if they did no newer version and started asking customer to pay, all the older versions which are free don't use any type of license or anything, so it isn't like it is going to stop working like Hamachi did. Hamachi no longer worked because it relied on using their servers to make the connections, Neorouter doesn't do this.

The only thing that would/does concern me is if there were to be someone to break the encryption or they were to find an exploit in the software and that never be reported or kept secret by the company, that would be more concerning than the product going to a pay platform.

So I can understand your want for open source as far as product security goes (as with open source you can review the code your self) but as far as it becoming a pay product later, I doubt that should be a big concern.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• So Neorouter gives me a lot better performance than Softether in game. There is a lot of lag, internet access breaks (even though I set 'do not modify routing table') using SecureNAT with DHCP enabled and with NAT disabled. Would I get better performance with static IP and having SecureNAT completely disabled?

P2P UDP

The image above is the default setting in Neorouter. Is it doing anything special that Softether/OpenVPN cannot do? This shouldn't be able to work anyway since I did not do any port forwarding on the clients, so it has to travel through Neorouter node anyway, right?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It works, just don't route the packets, check on softether "group policy". Simple as that