Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New type of spam? Getting URL seeding from Indonesia - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New type of spam? Getting URL seeding from Indonesia

2»

Comments

• @jollymon can you share, at least to me, the attacker domain? I'm very interested in this topic.

Does canonical things solves the problem?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2016

Double check that your web server config doesn't return your website for any domains other than your own as that can cause these kind of problems.

curl -vi -A "Mozilla 6.0" -H "Host: baddomain.net" 123.123.123.123

Where 123... is your IP

• @ricardo said:
    Double check that your web server config doesn't return your website for any domains other than your own as that can cause these kind of problems.

curl -vi -A "Mozilla 6.0" -H "Host: baddomain.net" 123.123.123.123

Where 123... is your IP

This was it. FFFFF k Im semi new to nginx and shit so many guides that gloss over everything and done cover incredibly important stuff like this are ranked well.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2016

At least it's identified now.

Unfortunately a lot of people think Google is flawless and perfect at attribution. In cases where the 'other' domain is older or more authoritative, they may prefer their version of the site over yours.

Just make sure your server responds with the correct status codes for your domains alone, the remaining 'worry' is just keeping an eye on mirrors/scrapers. Otherwise, it seems that the guy really likes your site (or dislikes you) :)

gl with the DMCA, it should sort that immediate problem.

• @ricardo said:
    At least it's identified now.

Unfortunately a lot of people think Google is flawless and perfect at attribution. In cases where the 'other' domain is older or more authoritative, they may prefer their version of the site over yours.

Just make sure your server responds with the correct status codes for your domains alone, the remaining 'worry' is just keeping an eye on mirrors/scrapers. Otherwise, it seems that the guy really likes your site (or dislikes you) :)

gl with the DMCA, it should sort that immediate problem.

So Ill give a bit of burndown on what I did and its ramifications today.

Since they left the IP pointed to me, I claimed their site in webmaster tools. I then setup 301 redirects in my nginx configs and processes a "change of address" with google. I started the change about 2 weeks ago and its deindexed from their site down to about 50K left. My site has not grown its index to those pages however its still processing and I am seeing traffic growth regardless. All good signs I feel. I think the other domain was abandoned and left pointing at my IP address, I feel less and less like its purposeful at this point.

• RolterRolter Member
    edited February 2016

@jollymon said:

It is purposeful and automated , so they dont care if they loose a few domains , it is just like fishing.