Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup

Hello,
I have a 1 Gb small website.
i want to backup my site regularly.
please tell what are the best backup solution

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited January 2016

Have you tried rsync? If not, it's pretty easy to use and there's tutorials available.

• Get a storage VPS from a reputable host, rsync your data there, or zip everything up and sftp it in if you have the space and bandwidth.

I use Amazon Cloud Drive for my backups, BF $5/yr deal, it works well and I'm intending to increase backup frequency and push hundreds of GBs in daily.

• time4vps and rsync depending on location or ramnode and rsync.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

DIGITALOCEAN??? It costs a minimum of CAD $7.06/mo (the rules don't say what currency - smallest possible droplet)! Shame on you for breaking the rules. /sarcasm

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2016

doghouch said: It costs a minimum of CAD $7.06/mo

Plus tax, and you guys think your healthcare is free :P

That article does mention a few good provider neutral methods for backing up :)

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited January 2016

@doghouch said:
    DIGITALOCEAN??? It costs a minimum of CAD $7.06/mo (the rules don't say what currency - smallest possible droplet)! Shame on you for breaking the rules. /sarcasm

The limit is 7 US dollars. That's about... 80,000 Canadian Dollars right now eh?

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

That person I'd bet wrote most of Digitalocean's tutorials.

Git is something I don't get, but it looks nice for versioning which I've had in mind for a time now.

jarland said: Plus tax, and you guys think your healthcare is free :P

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

@jarland said:

In this rate @hostnoob, us Canadians will land ourselves into the same situation as Zimbabwe. We'll have to surrender to the Americans and their dollar and @jarland will laugh his head off while we lose healthcare, schooling and end up like Detroit (no offence intended)...

Thanked by 2jar hostnoob
  • @GM2015 said:
    Git is something I don't get, but it looks nice for versioning which I've had in mind for a time now.

Try the tutorials? It's pretty easy to get the gist of it.

I know its importance, but can't be bothered to use it properly, so I always delete or amend commits and run force pushes.

• I'm not sure I'm not actively developing any earthshaking applications.

Perhaps attic would be a better option for versioning and encrypting backups.

theroyalstudent said: Try the tutorials? It's pretty easy to get the gist of it.

I know its importance, but can't be bothered to use it properly, so I always delete or amend commits and run force pushes.

edited January 2016

@theroyalstudent said:

I don't like Github, I just put my scripts on there as a sort of backup and for people to download. I much prefer the idea of something like hotscripts, but my friend convinced me to use Github

So I code on my VPS, then download it to my PC, then put it in the Github folder then do all the sync/push/whatever (I have no idea how Git works) so it kind of eliminates the point of it all. I think it's more important for teams of contributors.

Edit: oh and let's not forget how I accidentally left my SQL pass in a conf file and couldn't figure out how to delete the damn thing off Github without completely erasing the project

• @doghouch said:
    In this rate hostnoob, us Canadians will land ourselves into the same situation as Zimbabwe. We'll have to surrender to the Americans and their dollar and jarland will laugh his head off while we lose healthcare, schooling and end up like Detroit (no offence intended)...

Silly Canadians with your free healthcare system, good education system, cheap oil and polite, likeable nature...

• @hostnoob said:
    Edit: oh and let's not forget how I accidentally left my SQL pass in a conf file and couldn't figure out how to delete the damn thing off Github without completely erasing the project

You're welcome

Thanked by 2hostnoob doghouch
  • Hey,
    I have shared hosting account, so rsync is not an option.
    i need automated backup solution.

Thanked by 1chip
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

When I had shared hosting on cpanel, the host let me set up a shell account then I could pretty much wander around their server(htop, ls - lah home and such iirc). But I didn't really bother to look around though too much.

radhika said: Hey, I have shared hosting account, so rsync is not an option. i need automated backup solution.

• Hey,

edited January 2016

@radhika said:
    Hey,

use a combination of cron + zip/rar/tar (whatever's available) + a custom FTP user (which has access to nothing except the backed up data archive) and then use another server to download it via FTP (with cron)

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • For small but regular backups i like to use Tarsnap. Fully encrypted and easy to use.

Thanked by 1sin
  • hostnoob said: left my SQL pass in a conf file and couldn't figure out how to delete the damn thing off Github

Then use a private repo @GitBucket?

@radhika said:
    Hey,

Are you sure? Even Hostgator shared clients can use rsync.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @jarland said:
    Are you sure? Even Hostgator shared clients can use rsync.

How? if they don't have root access...

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Chalipa said:

You don't need to have root access to run rsync, all you need is to be able to run scripts (PHP exec() will do fine).

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2016

@Chalipa said:

Most shared hosting includes at least jailed shell access. It's a standard cpanel feature. Root is not a requirement for rsync by default.

• @jarland said:
    Most shared hosting includes at least jailed shell access. It's a standard cpanel feature. Root is not a requirement for rsync by default.

Just make sure to stay within their unlimited policy :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • edited January 2016

@radhika said:
    I have a 1 Gb small website.
    i want to backup my site regularly.
    please tell what are the best backup solution

There is no one best solution. To give an answer that is likely to be in any way close to optimal for your site we'd need to know a lot more detail:

• How is that Gb distributed? Mainly in a DB? Mainly in large image files?
    • How much is static and how much changes regularly and how regularly is regularly?
    • Is the data generated by you and pushed to the site, or generated by the site's users, or both? (if both, what sort of mix?).
    • Are you running a common platform (wordpress or such) for some or all of the content?
    • and so on...

It is like asking "I am an 12 stone man, what is the best coat to wear?" without providing any further context. The best answer is going to be quite different depending on if you are nipping to the corner shop in Cairo or planning a 25K trek in snow-capped mountains.