Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there really 100% uptime vps/dedicated? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there really 100% uptime vps/dedicated?

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

At work we have systems with 100% uptime over decades. They cost several million dollars each and are called mainframes. HP's NonStop is similar. Also millions.

Years ago (~1999) I admin's Auspex boxes that could continue to serve files even when rebooting. That was sweet. Auspex went out of businesses because they cost millions.

Commodity x86? I don't care how fancy your clustering is, but unless it's baked into the hardware, forget it. Practically speaking, you need your own DCs and network, too.

• jvnadr said: Google is not just a website. [...]

True (all your comment). Actually the search form is hosted on more than 12000 IPv4.

100% uptime should not be too difficult to achieve with 3 VPS/DS and an active DNS. What is more difficult is to make it transparent to the user (sessions must be forwarded), DNS must have a very short TTL, web pages must be loaded dynamically, etc.

• I just remembered that the London Stock Exchange went down for most of the day a few years back. That's when they dropped Windows for Linux, by the way. haha

Anyway, they were down for 6 hours and 40 minutes. Does anybody want to do the math on how many centuries they will have to operate without a minute's downtime in order to get to five nines?

• You can build 100% uptime architectures, but it means a lot more than 1 VPS or server.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ole_Juul said: Anyway, they were down for 6 hours and 40 minutes. Does anybody want to do the math on how many centuries they will have to operate without a minute's downtime in order to get to five nines?

5.26 mins/year = 99.999%. They are 6*60+40 = 400 minutes down.

400 / 5.26 = 76 years. Assuming 100% uptime in between, if they have 400 minutes over 76 years, they'll be at an average of 5.263 minutes/year. 99.999% is 5.256% per year, though I don't know how leap years figure in. Ignoring them, at 77 years, they'll average 5.194 mins/year and could claim 99.999% at that point.

The article you cite says 2008, so about 2093...by which time we'll all be dead.

Well, not the 18yo LET CEOs. They'll probably own the LSE by then.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul