Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random disconnecting in RDP with kimsufi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Random disconnecting in RDP with kimsufi

RurikoRuriko Member
edited January 2016 in Help

I have a kimsufi dedi server in canada with windows server 2012 r2 installed. The problem is I randomly disconnect when using RDP. Once I get disconnected I can't reconnect to RDP and the only solution is to reboot the server which then allows me to reconnect RDP. What can be causing this issue?

Comments

• wow, I'm having the same issue on my server, but I can just reconnect almost instantly. It does however, behave like this more often if you have enabled UDP through RDP 8.0, but I didn't experience this anymore falling back to TCP.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited January 2016

@marcosa said:
    wow, I'm having the same issue on my server, but I can just reconnect almost instantly. It does however, behave like this more often if you have enabled UDP through RDP 8.0, but I didn't experience this anymore falling back to TCP.

I don't even know if I have UDP enabled since I just use the default settings. How do I turn on TCP in RDP?

• marcosamarcosa Member
    edited January 2016

if you're using Linux, you should be using TCP by default, if you're using Windows just check your connection status while in full screen - little connection bar at the top of the screen - without these updates, Windows will always use TCP.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16401.how-to-check-if-a-rdp-connection-is-using-rdp-8-x.aspx

• You are running an expired trial of windows which shuts down after 1 hour (if I'm not mistaking),...

• @wlambrechts said:
    You are running an expired trial of windows which shuts down after 1 hour (if I'm not mistaking),...

It's not expired and it's not even a trial version

• I have this same issue (I using vnc)

• @marcosa said:
    if you're using Linux, you should be using TCP by default, if you're using Windows just check your connection status while in full screen - little connection bar at the top of the screen - without these updates, Windows will always use TCP.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16401.how-to-check-if-a-rdp-connection-is-using-rdp-8-x.aspx

I'm connecting from a Windows 10 pc and it seems that I have poor connection and using UDP. So how would I force connect to TCP?

• marcosamarcosa Member
    edited January 2016

@Ruriko

In your Windows server, open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, select Inbound Rules and check Filter by Group: Remote Desktop.

Disable the rules related to UDP connectivity: User mode (UDP-In) for every Domain.

• rudolphdrudolphd Member
    edited November 2016

@Ruriko said:
    I have a kimsufi dedi server in canada with windows server 2012 r2 installed. The problem is I randomly disconnect when using RDP. Once I get disconnected I can't reconnect to RDP and the only solution is to reboot the server which then allows me to reconnect RDP. What can be causing this issue?

Same issue here, Windows Server 2016, after ~10 minutes it disconnects and the only way to start it is by rebooting in the kimsufi control panel. UDP is enabled, because it speeds up a lot, I previously had Windows Server 2012 R2 and it was impossible to enable UDP, I had tried everything, so I installed version 2016 and UDP is working.

• Run an MTR to your server from your home, post here.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited November 2016

I know windows server 2012 got a inactivity timer which logs you out if you idle for too long

That's probably the issue info on how to disable it http://superuser.com/questions/558920/disable-windows-server-2012-automatic-log-off

• @Razza said:
    I know windows server 2012 got a inactivity timer which logs you out if you idle for too long

That's probably the issue info on how to disable it http://superuser.com/questions/558920/disable-windows-server-2012-automatic-log-off

I am connected to Windows machines (10, 2012 R2, 2016, etc.) for days on end without any issues at all. Curious how people run into this and I haven't seen it in over the decade I have been working with Windows server.