Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup Image of VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup Image of VPS?

When BoltVM went down, what I mostly lost was an experiment with EasyEngine. I have a backup of my WP site, but I lost all the work in getting EE up and running on the site. This got me thinking about a different kind of backup. Is there software that can make an image of a VPS and send it offsite? I know that there are hosts that offer this service, I have some VPSs with BuyVM. I was wondering if I can replicate that myself?

Comments

• I usually use a camera to store and create my images.

Otherwise, check out clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/ and some of its alternatives:

http://alternativeto.net/software/clonezilla/

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Bacula could do this. We have been considering offering this as a service.

Thanked by 2MTUser2012 Junkless
  • Cdp.me

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • use Continuous Data Protection (cdp.me)

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

If you like you can MariaDB Galera Cluster with lsyncd.

• If you use a kvm vps, you can run lxc containers nested, then just clone the container and scp it to your desktop or another vps. If you change providers, put the clone on your new host and you'll only need to update your DNS, and setup the firewall rules on the host OS. I asked a similar question a couple months ago got about 10 different answers, and was of course told that I was "Doing it wrong" but whatever, it works really well for my situation.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2016

You could install rsync and run something like this for a fairly complete openVZ backup.

mkdir -m 0755 -p /backup/
    /usr/bin/rsync -a --delete --numeric-ids --relative --delete-excluded \
       --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/var/run/* \
       --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/tmp/* --exclude=/backup /.  /backup/
    tar cf - /backup  | gzip > /root/backupfilename.tar.gz
    rm -R -f /backup

EDIT: I see nothing wrong with any of the above suggestions, just adding another option.

• Yeah, I was the one bashing you, sorry for that.

What you do is probably better than rsyncing and restoring later.

Straykat said: If you use a kvm vps, you can run lxc containers nested, then just clone the container and scp it to your desktop or another vps. If you change providers, put the clone on your new host and you'll only need to update your DNS, and setup the firewall rules on the host OS. I asked a similar question a couple months ago got about 10 different answers, and was of course told that I was "Doing it wrong" but whatever, it works really well for my situation.

• I use CDP as well on half a dozen production servers for a bunch of projects. It works rather well, and I highly recommend it.

• @Straykat said: If you use a kvm vps, you can run lxc containers nested, then just clone the container and scp it to your desktop or another vps. If you change providers, put the clone on your new host and you'll only need to update your DNS, and setup the firewall rules on the host OS. (...)

Any reason why LXC, as opposed to OpenVZ?