Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iptables not working - file missing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iptables not working - file missing?

FreekFreek Member
edited January 2013 in Help

I'm struggling getting iptables to work. If I execute the command 'iptables -L' I get this error message:

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-virtual/modules.dep: No such file or directory
iptables v1.4.12: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

The file /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-virtual/modules.dep indeed isn't there. Is this my fault or is it perhaps missing in the OS template of the provider?

This is on Ubuntu 12.04 Server 64 bit.

Thanks

Comments

• unusedunused Member
    edited January 2013

What does

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`

Show - do you have the modules for that kernel in the o/s? If so then run a

depmod -a

And try iptables again.

• tuxtux Member

OpenVZ?

• @unused said: ls /lib/modules/uname -r

That shows me a folder named 'build'

@unused said: do you have the modules for that kernel in the o/s? If so then run a depmod -a

I don't believe if I have. Running depmod -a doesn't do anything (no output/makes no difference).

@tux said: OpenVZ

It's DigitalOcean. I've been told they use KVM?

• @Freek - is there anything in /lib/modules ?

If it's kvm then it should run the kernel from within the o/s -- try doing an apt-get update & apt-get upgrade to update to the latest kernel, or install a kernel specifically to get the modules..

• @unused Thanks, I tried it but again it made no difference. I ended up reinstalling the whole VPS. I think minstall removed too much this time, since the second time I didn't run it and it worked flawlessly

Thanks for the help though!