Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Broadband IP on several Blacklist (Mail Spam?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Broadband IP on several Blacklist (Mail Spam?)

iBotiBot Member
edited January 2016 in Help

I upgraded my broadband plan several months ago and I didn't notice that I got a free static IP. For first few months, I had no issues at all but only recently I started getting cloudflare's captcha on all the site it hosted. I have macbook and windows pc running of it.(Scanned thoroughly for bots/malware)

After having immense discussion with cloudflare about "white-listing" my IP but they simply didn't want to help. I mean these blacklists are mail-spam related anyways but why intervene browsing?

Well, coming to the issue, I am certain that I don't host any mail server on port 25, my windows machine is only used in a while and my while macbook is running little snitch firewall with ports monitored. After concluding my machines safe, I was pretty confused how was I blacklisted within few hours of delist from CBL for running "dyre" spam bot.

My setup is pretty simple FTTH -> Modem -> TP-Link C20i BB Router

Most of the 103.2.235.XXX IPs seems to have been blacklisted for the similar reason. What could be the actual cause?

Comments

• They will be listed as home broadband IPs. If people want to use that info to block your mail, they will.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Probably some heavy abuse from that IP range. Might be worth asking them if they can assign you to a different subnet or clean that one up.

• @jarland said:
    Probably some heavy abuse from that IP range. Might be worth asking them if they can assign you to a different subnet or clean that one up.

Abuse by spoofing? It was just 2 blacklist initially and now the list is going on.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2016

iBot said: Abuse by spoofing?

Nah, plenty of abuse can originate from the IPs themselves. Could be botnets by way of compromised computers, could be intentional abuse. These are likely blocking ranges, not just you specifically.

• Go look at the reason why you are listed. Sometimes it could be a compromised system and you don't even know.

• ivmSIP will list a whole /24 for a few complaints so no surprise there

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

We have a dynamic IP here, and I also noticed we were listed with our previous IP on all/most email spam blacklists.

Why?

Residential dynamic IP.

I believe I looked at spamhaus' reasoning and I guess most blacklists will filter email coming from dynamic IP-s.

iBot said: I upgraded my broadband plan several months ago and I didn't notice that I got a free static IP. For first few months, I had no issues at all but only recently I started getting cloudflare's captcha on all the site it hosted.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2016

@GM2015 said:
    We have a dynamic IP here, and I also noticed we were listed with our previous IP on all/most email spam blacklists.

Same here my IP renewed yesterday and I just checked it's on two lists.. Funny thing is my ISP won't allow you to send mail unless it's through their SMTP servers..

• Looking further the whole /13 is listed..

• I wonder if you could get one idiot at one of these lists to blacklist 127.0.0.1/8 and more of these reserved addresses.

ATHK said: Looking further the whole /13 is listed..